A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Replacing rear side marker bulb?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear side marker bulb?

Hi guys. New to the forum, and would appreciate your help! My rear side marker light went out, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace these? Do you just pry it out with a screwdriver? I opened my trunk and I don't see an easy way of getting to it. Any advice or experience doing this? I have attached a photo below to show what I am talking about. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyaudia7
I don't see an easy way of getting to it.
I believe that they pry out IIRC from the people changing lenses posts. I did go to eBay and searched using "audi a7 rear bumper". It resulted in around forty auctions and many had pictures of the inside of the bumper cover.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi guys. New to the forum, and would appreciate your help! My rear side marker light went out, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace these? Do you just pry it out with a screwdriver? I opened my trunk and I don't see an easy way of getting to it. Any advice or experience doing this? I have attached a photo below to show what I am talking about. Thanks!
Why bother? The dealer will replace it under warranty.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This doesnt seem to be a covered item under the CPO warranty.
The bulb itself ranges from $0.35 to $8, but the dealership is charging $109 to replace it.

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Why bother? The dealer will replace it under warranty.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you just pry it out with a screwdriver? I opened my trunk and I don't see an easy way of getting to it.

I pried mine out using a trim pry tool. Just wiggle in there from top and bottom and it comes out surprisingly easily. I didn't replace the bulb; however, I painted the reflectors to match the body and turned off the bulb using VCDS.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by essdotohh
This doesnt seem to be a covered item under the CPO warranty.
The bulb itself ranges from $0.35 to $8, but the dealership is charging $109 to replace it.
I did not realize yours was a CPO.

Get one of these tool sets to pry out the assembly from the bumper cover. You will find that they come amazingly handy:

Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit 4 Pc

Last edited by fkaufman; 01-18-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

I assume they charge that much because the proper way without scratching the paint or damaging anything would be to jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the fender liner to get access to the side marker assembly which you would push out from inside the bumper, change the bulb, then repeat the same steps backwards. They also usually recommend to change both sides while they are at it so $109 is expensive but justified enough.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally... and thanks to others who posted on this. I used the technique of a butter knife wrapped in a thin microfiber towel, and from the outside, carefully pried the bottom center till it popped some then worked toward the front still prying, until enough was out that I could pull on the assembly to get it to completely pop out. Note, the rearward edge of the assembly (toward the rear of the car) is like a hinge/anchor point, so don't pry the rearward end. After the assembly is out, pull/pry the black socket straight out. Replaced bulbs with Sylvania 168 bulbs (2-pack at Pep Boys was $5.99). Might as well do both at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
John B (02-25-2020)
Old 11-11-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davecahh
Finally... and thanks to others who posted on this. I used the technique of a butter knife wrapped in a thin microfiber towel, and from the outside, carefully pried the bottom center till it popped some then worked toward the front still prying, until enough was out that I could pull on the assembly to get it to completely pop out. Note, the rearward edge of the assembly (toward the rear of the car) is like a hinge/anchor point, so don't pry the rearward end. After the assembly is out, pull/pry the black socket straight out. Replaced bulbs with Sylvania 168 bulbs (2-pack at Pep Boys was $5.99). Might as well do both at the same time.
Correction... Philips 168 bulbs used. Or you can use Sylvania 2825 bulbs.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by davecahh
Correction... Philips 168 bulbs used. Or you can use Sylvania 2825 bulbs.
Thanks for the insight. I used the"attached" pry tool and it worked like a charm. No damage to the paint what so ever. GLISTON 5pcs Car Pry Tool Kit Auto Trim Removal Tool, Door Panel Clip Removal Set for Vehicle Dash Radio Audio Installer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing rear side marker bulb?