A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Is it Safe to buy a 117k 2012 A7

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Safe to buy a 117k 2012 A7

Hi guys I have been searching for a new car lately, and Its down between a 2012 CLS550 or 2012 A7. So I have an audi A7 with about 115k on it but it's at a great price of a bit over 28k. What type of problems should i expect if i buy it? I'm scared cause I've never owned a German car so idk what maintenance issues I should deal with. Please no rude comments just looking for info on a beautiful car
Old 10-22-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Alberto Canjura
Hi guys I have been searching for a new car lately, and Its down between a 2012 CLS550 or 2012 A7. So I have an audi A7 with about 115k on it but it's at a great price of a bit over 28k. What type of problems should i expect if i buy it? I'm scared cause I've never owned a German car so idk what maintenance issues I should deal with. Please no rude comments just looking for info on a beautiful car
Assuming the car wasn't in in accident and all maintenance and recalls were done when due, you should be fine for at least another 100k, possibly more.

Just get the factory recommended maintenance done when due, there is a good reason why they are suggested.

A third party extended warranty plan may also be a good idea, if you can get one with that mileage.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That's high mileage on a five year old car. Review the service records, make sure all the major things have been completed and have a trusted mechanic check everything out.

Is it a private sale or dealer? Check Edmunds.com and KBB.com for the prices in your area with the options on the car.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Luis- if you meant they want a little over $28K for it, they are asking too much. I have a 2012 Prestige that's almost perfect, it was $29K with 81Kmi. Best car i've ever had. Gets a lot of looks, it's my 3rd Audi and i also have an A6 4.2. Make sure to look for leaks under the car before pulling the trigger. The belly pan on these cars is huge and could easily hide a slow leak.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

$28K is too high for that kind of mileage. Closer to $20-$22K would be reasonable depending on the options. Like others have said make sure all recommended maintenance has been performed by a Audi dealership.

If not walk away....

Also check to see what is the next major maintenance is required (~120K miles) and if this is an Audi dealer then get them to include that in the price.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If the car is a private sale, it should be taken to an Audi tech for a complete check before committing. Well worth the couple of hundred dollars. If the owner declines, walk away. A CarFax wouldn't hurt either (whille they don't catch everything, you would know for sure if an accident showed up).
Old 10-26-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What no way, i thought it was an amazing price. I live in CA and everywhere i search there always about 30-35k so i really thought it was a steal. But thanks guys, i'm going to take a look at it this weekend in LA. From all these responses i definitely feel more comfortable with the audi from all the stuff you guys commented. Im going to try to get the price lower as well
Old 10-26-2016, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Alberto Canjura
What no way, i thought it was an amazing price. I live in CA and everywhere i search there always about 30-35k so i really thought it was a steal. But thanks guys, i'm going to take a look at it this weekend in LA. From all these responses i definitely feel more comfortable with the audi from all the stuff you guys commented. Im going to try to get the price lower as well
Luis,

It looks like a nice car, although the "slammed" look isn't for everyone. The mileage by itself shouldn't stop you, but before you buy MAKE SURE YOU GET A FULL PPI. Paying a couple of hundred to have someone inspect everything, especially getting it on a lift and checking for issues with bushings, leaks, and other issues is vital. BTW, it looks like this is the car you're interested in:

You also might want to take a look at the following car as well, it's a bit more money, but has 1/2 the miles as the one you've got your eye on:
2012 AUDI A7 - FOR SALE BY OWNER
Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Luis,

It looks like a nice car, although the "slammed" look isn't for everyone. The mileage by itself shouldn't stop you, but before you buy MAKE SURE YOU GET A FULL PPI.
Modified cars are harder to sell. Even if everything checks out and you love it, you can use the high mileage, lowered suspension and aftermarket wheels as negative points to negotiate for a lower price.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

YES that's the beauty i been looking at, dang kinda cool how you found it. I think that look is what gets my attention the most.

But oh dang that's actually on my way down there from upstate. Really not bad price

Quick Reply: Is it Safe to buy a 117k 2012 A7