A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Strange data connection issue

Old 01-15-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Strange data connection issue

I purchased a 2012 A7 a few months ago and have been using a TruPhone sim without any problems (aside from being limited to 2G speeds.) However, last night I noticed that I was getting a "No Service" message and am now unable to use any data services.

I've plugged the sim into my phone and confirmed that it's active and pulling down data, so no issues there. I've also reset the MMI, toggled the data module on and off in the Telephone settings and just about everything else that I can think of to jump start the data connection, but no love.

Any tips or tricks for getting my data connection back up and running?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

TruPhone uses AT&T and AT&T has shutdown their 2G network as of Dec 31, 2016. You won't get any data service anymore, because the old modem in your 2012 doesn't support AT&T's 3G band.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1069631

Audi offers a modem upgrade for 2012 and 2013 models to original owners who live in a market where T-Mobile has upgraded their network and moved their 3G band to a different part of the spectrum that's not supported by the older modems, either. These new modems also fully support AT&T's bands. However, you need the be the original owner, have an active official T-Mobile Audi connect subscription and your home address needs to be in a market where T-Mobile has done the upgrade already and most likely your car still needs to be under warranty.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-15-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, that explains it. Thanks! Come to think of it, I haven't used nav or any data services since the first of the year, so I guess I'm just noticing it now. And that's consistent with the "server not responding" error message that I noticed while troubleshooting.

So, is the modem upgrade my only option? I'm not the original owner and the car isn't under warranty, so it sounds like I wouldn't qualify for the modem upgrade program. Has anyone here paid for this upgrade out of pocket - and if so, about how much $$$ does it run?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The modem upgrade is one option, but nobody has been able to get it even if they offered to pay for it. The part can be bought on ECS, though, but it also requires a software update.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...kit/8t0051431/

Your other option is to switch to T-Mobile or another provider that uses T-Mobile's network, but T-Mobile is also going to shutdown their 2G network in 2020 and w/o the modem upgrade you can't use the new 3G bands that T-Mobile is moving to, so come 2020, the only option will be the modem upgrade or a new car.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

So it sounds like I'll be looking into getting a T-Mobile subscription as a temporary fix until my local dealership has the new module and can do the upgrade. Lovely.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I have a 2013 A7 that's under the original Audi warranty currently, and is an Audi CPO vehicle purchased from a local Audi dealership. 2nd owner. Audi USA are refusing to provide the fix, or any indication of when an out of pocket option for the fix will be available. Audi Customer Experience channels have been a waste of effort. To me, the policy of only offering the fix to original owners seems discriminatory. I need to see where in the warranty it says that warranty coverage level is based on whether you're an original owner... if not, expect less, etc. Audi USA should stand behind its products and warranty in a consistent manner. How can alienating your customers be a good decision, given the relatively low cost of the parts (if we could get them... which we apparently can't, even out of pocket through the dealership).
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NigelC
I'm in the same boat. I have a 2013 A7 that's under the original Audi warranty currently, and is an Audi CPO vehicle purchased from a local Audi dealership. 2nd owner. Audi USA are refusing to provide the fix, or any indication of when an out of pocket option for the fix will be available. Audi Customer Experience channels have been a waste of effort. To me, the policy of only offering the fix to original owners seems discriminatory. I need to see where in the warranty it says that warranty coverage level is based on whether you're an original owner... if not, expect less, etc. Audi USA should stand behind its products and warranty in a consistent manner. How can alienating your customers be a good decision, given the relatively low cost of the parts (if we could get them... which we apparently can't, even out of pocket through the dealership).
It actually does make some sense. Only the original owner is an Audi customer. Subsequent owners are not Audi customers. Audi made no money from you. You bought the car from an independent dealer used. Audi only gets money on the first sale, so technically, the original owner is the customer and you are not a customer of Audi. You are a customer of the dealer you bought the car from and if you use their service department, but why should Audi foot the bill to replace the modem, when you didn't buy the car from them in the first place? Just some food for thought.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-16-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It actually does make some sense. Only the original owner is an Audi customer. Subsequent owners are not Audi customers. Audi made no money from you. You bought the car from an independent dealer used. Audi only gets money on the first sale, so technically, the original owner is the customer and you are not a customer of Audi. You are a customer of the dealer you bought the car from and if you use their service department, but why should Audi foot the bill to replace the modem, when you didn't buy the car from them in the first place? Just some food for thought.
Vehicle was purchased from an Audi dealership (franchised) in the SF Bay Area, as an Audi Certified Pre-Owned vehicle...
Audi USA made the same money on the sale of this vehicle, irrespective of who the current owner is...
This vehicle carries the same warranty as it carried for the original owner (or, I thought it did).
Its a little weak for Audi to offer no way for an owner to obtain the fix from their local Audi dealership - none. You can't even get the fix as a customer out of pocket expense repair. Believe me, I've asked.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that part of the complication is that T-Mobile may be giving Audi some money back on this. It was out of Audi's control that T-Mobile made the hardware outdated. If anything, you should have a beef with them. I think it was pretty good of Audi to offer anything to anybody when they had no control of the system that T-Mobile changed.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, completely agree with this. Audi isn't responsible for whatever network update plans T-Mobile or AT&T choose to implement, so why should they bear the substantial cost of upgrading Audi owners with new hardware under warranty?

Now I do feel that, in the interest of customer satisfaction, it would be in Audi's best interest to fast-track making the new 3G/LTE hardware available to anyone who desires to do the upgrade out-of-pocket. Even a phased rollout would be fine as long as they communicate effectively. ("Hardware is limited, but we're making arrangements and should have parts available soon for anyone wishing to purchase them." Etc.)

I understand that these upgraded modems probably aren't exactly off the shelf parts, so some initial scarcity is understandable. That said, it seems reasonable to assume that Audi would have enough buying power to get a sufficient number of replacement units produced and into dealers' hands within a few months. Hopefully, they're taking steps to do exactly that, so I'm willing to be patient and see how this plays out. Though if we're still in this situation six months from now with no clear communication from the Audi mother ship, that'll be a problem...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange data connection issue