A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Strange data connection issue

Old 01-17-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It actually does make some sense. Only the original owner is an Audi customer. Subsequent owners are not Audi customers. Audi made no money from you. You bought the car from an independent dealer used. Audi only gets money on the first sale, so technically, the original owner is the customer and you are not a customer of Audi. You are a customer of the dealer you bought the car from and if you use their service department, but why should Audi foot the bill to replace the modem, when you didn't buy the car from them in the first place? Just some food for thought.
Your argument has a minor flaw.

It is true that Audi does not make any money on the resale of a vehicle. However, they have made their profit on the original sale. So if they can afford to make a replacement to the original purchaser from the money they have made, there is no reason why they could not do the same for a subsequent owner, they already got the money from the original purchase.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an update to this. During the process of adding an audi connect subscription to my wife’s 2015 Q7,the rep mentioned that they thought I should now be able to order the replacement module, and to ask my dealership.

When in for a scheduled service on the A7,I mentioned this to the service advisor. The parts department checked and located the TSB for the issue, and part number. The bad news was that the part came back at this point as unavailable, but they said they would check with their dealership network to see if any of them had the module on-hand. The parts department were able to find one, but I got the sense they were no longer being made... so I may have been lucky. So, I’m finally getting 3G from my A7 audi connect subscription.

Happy about how this ultimately worked out, but still less than impressed with how Audi USA handled this issue.