A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Subwoofer Upgrade Complete (I'm Lovin' It!)

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subwoofer Upgrade Complete (I'm Lovin' It!)

Thanks to a lot of help on this board, I have completed my subwoofer upgrade - and I'm lovin' It!

The difference between the sound of the stock audio system and the upgrade is not subtle - it is dramatic. The #1 benefit of upgrading the sub is not simply to extend the bass, it is to significantly improve the sound of your existing speakers and amp. The existing speakers and amp freed from the burden of trying to reproduce bass frequencies that they were not designed for - allows them to sound cleaner and clearer - especially in the very important midrange and mid bass areas.

I used a JL Audio 8" sub enclosure and JL Audio 300 watt monoblock class D amp. I also used a Audio Control LC2i processor to accept speaker level signals and to correct bass roll-off. I selected this equipment after substantial internet research and discussions with my installer and tech support from LJ Audio.

The bass now has nice control and weight. This sub upgrade is able to provide subtle textures and nuances that make listening to all music much more enjoyable. Stanley Clarke sounds amazing. I listened to Pink Floyd's Money at least 3 times yesterday.

Here are a few pictures of the installation. I will provide some follow-up posts on why I chose this equipment (sound quality, aesthetics & price), and additional equipment pictures. Thank-you to everyone who has helped me on this project!
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Follow-up on the equipment used.

CP108LG-W3v3: Single 8W3v3 MicroSub, Ported, 4 Ω

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp108lg-w3v3-...-systems-93133

XD300/1: Monoblock Class D Subwoofer Amplifier, 300 W

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd300-1-car-a...plifiers-98266

LC2i 2ch Line Out Converter with AccuBASS(tm) and Subwoofer Control

http://www.audiocontrol.com/17612/64...r-Control.html
Attached Images    

Last edited by looking@audi; 04-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Follow-up on why I selected this equipment.

I received a lot of help on this project from several members on this forum. Thanks!

I have seen many great sub upgrades - from simple upgraded drivers to high-end custom installations. I have no doubt they sound fantastic.

Here are the reasons I selected the equipment that I did.

1. Sound quality. JL Audio is a leader in automotive sound. I thought about installing a subwoofer driver in one of the hatch cubbies, however, I felt that JL Audio precisely engineered the sub enclosure for optimum sound. JL Audio tech support suggested that I had a greater chance of achieving controlled bass without trial and error. I had a chance to demo the JL Audio sub in another car and loved the sound.

2. Aesthetics. I love the small footprint of the JL Audio micro sub and the enclosure with black carpeting blends perfectly with my black interior. The sub is simple to remove if I need to reclaim the small amount of space that it occupies. I'll admit that it doesn't look as sexy as some of the "custom" upgrades that I have seen - but since this is a leased car - it allows me to remove it and use it in my next Audi.

3. Price. I accomplished this upgrade using a custom audio shop doing all the work with an investment of approximately $800 dollars. This is less than the $850 Bose "upgrade" and I know it provides significantly better sound.

Last edited by looking@audi; 04-17-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW

I thought your plan was to keep the installation hidden?

Glad you got some new sound !! ..... I'll be waiting for a less evasive option though, wouldn't want to have that box in the trunk
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clintb
WOW

I thought your plan was to keep the installation hidden?
Yes, I think it would be nice to have a "hidden" sub, however, I did a lot of research and decided that the JL Audio was the best solution for me. I summarized my reasons above regarding sound quality, aesthetics and price.

Like most things - there is no one best way to upgrade the sub. Different options involve different trade offs.

I am a certified bass nut - and understand the complexity of getting bass done right. Get it wrong and you have boomy, muddy and one-note bass thumping and irritating your ears. In my home theater I invested many months in optimum sub placement, room treatments and Anthem digital bass correction. I wasn't prepared to do that in my leased A7. After talking with my installer, I just wan't convinced I could integrate the bass as effectively with a hidden sub compared to the computer optimized, internally braced, and precisely tuned JL enclosure - at a reasonable price for me.

Regardless of what type of sub you choose, the most important thing is to make sure that you or your installer tune it correctly including placement, crossover, bass rolloff and other factors. I was pleased with the fact that my installer was very knowledgable with the tuning of the JL Audio sub.

I would love to get together with other A7 owners in the future and listen and compare all the great sub upgrades I have seen on this site.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? You claim to be a bass nut? Yet you use a tiny sub and a less than attractive enclosure? I'm confused....

I'm the guy that built the one in Comson's car, I honestly could probably have offered you a much better option for under $400.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Petrol4blood
What? You claim to be a bass nut? Yet you use a tiny sub and a less than attractive enclosure? I'm confused....

I'm the guy that built the one in Comson's car, I honestly could probably have offered you a much better option for under $400.
I am extremely pleased with the subwoofer and bass management system that I used. The sound is great and I am 100% satisfied with my decision based on my requirements.

I fully understand that other people may have different opinions. Please feel free to post your "better options" on another thread.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
I fully understand that other people may have different opinions. Please feel free to post your "better options" on another thread.
After thinking about this some more, I would love to see ideas for "better options." Let's just agree to keep the conversation constructive.

If someone can design a sub enclosure that would replace the existing sub in the space next to the spare tire - and it sounds as good as my JL Audio - I would definitely consider it. I would keep my existing 300 watt sub amp and audio control unit that provides bass management - and simply plug in the concealed sub. Sounds perfect.

I look forward to replies and pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you went the smart route. These guys spending almost 2k to have the sub hidden are nuts. Yes, it may look a bit more sleek to have it tucked away, but its not like people even see the inside of you trunk. If it was an SUV it might be a different story, however, that box takes up no space and probably sounds better out in the open. I load up my trunk and go skiing every weekend and that sub would never cause any problems in terms of trunk space. I think there are better places to spend the extra thousand dollars it would cost to go custom. Just my .02 cents
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marchetta070
I think you went the smart route. These guys spending almost 2k to have the sub hidden are nuts. Yes, it may look a bit more sleek to have it tucked away, but its not like people even see the inside of you trunk. If it was an SUV it might be a different story, however, that box takes up no space and probably sounds better out in the open. I load up my trunk and go skiing every weekend and that sub would never cause any problems in terms of trunk space. I think there are better places to spend the extra thousand dollars it would cost to go custom. Just my .02 cents
I think the OP spent about $300~$400 less than the other forum member who got a custom enclosure done

Seems like a 60~80k car deserves the extra $400 from a purely aesthetic perspective

I DO think the OP's recent suggestion of seeing some pics/offers for spare tire based enclosures is a very constructive approach. Would be nice to find a good example of that solution (which we have yet to see.)

In the meantime: all these solutions have better bass than I do

Last edited by clintb; 04-19-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subwoofer Upgrade Complete (I'm Lovin' It!)