A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Surround View Camera - Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surround View Camera - Retrofit

Has anyone retrofitted the surround view camera into their car? This is something on the 2013 I would have really liked on my new'ish 2012. Look's like it's available, though not a cheap price by any standard and I sure a load of labor to do as well.

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/Audi/A...tem-Audi-A6-4G

Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably easier and less expensive to sell your 2012 and buy a 2013 with that feature.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

They offer a front and rear solution for $1000. With front, rear, left, and right cameras it's $2000. Install is supposed to be $1000 or under.

I already have front and rear sensors along with rear camera so I might not need the whole package or at least be able to part out the factory rear.

$3000'ish sounds more than reasonable and cheaper / easier than selling and buying a new car.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The standard rear camera is nothing like the front and rear camera system.

It is a different control ECU located under the seat, not in the trunk (boot) and the cameras are digital and not analogue like your existing camera.

So you would have to scrap all of your existing factory fit camera system.

I have all the parts and I've just received the wiring loom. Connected it up and nothing? I can see it in the cars options with VCDS, I have coded it up according to the german instructions supplied by kufatec.
The following users liked this post:
AudiEV (03-23-2023)
Old 11-30-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by craigyb
The standard rear camera is nothing like the front and rear camera system.

It is a different control ECU located under the seat, not in the trunk (boot) and the cameras are digital and not analogue like your existing camera.

So you would have to scrap all of your existing factory fit camera system.

I have all the parts and I've just received the wiring loom. Connected it up and nothing? I can see it in the cars options with VCDS, I have coded it up according to the german instructions supplied by kufatec.

Try this and let me know what happens. Put the car in park. Make sure car is on and running. Do the MMI three finger reset. MMI will restart and reboot. With foot on brake change to reverse gear. Then you can go back to park gear.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Module needs to be "activated" in order to work. If you buy all new parts and put them in the car and wire it up properly as well as make correct VAG changes and it still doesn't work at all, or only after doing a reset this is a STRONG possibility. The module would need to be activated by an Audi dealer. Unless you have a great working relationship most aren't going to activate a module for a customer for a DIY job, especially for part that wasn't part of the original build. Too much liability. If you use one already activated from a breakers you are much less likely to have problems. If that still doesn't work then there is another issue.

It is also possible to hook up side (mirror) camera's as well but since there are no official A7 camera mirrors and none of the other models that do have cameras in their side mirrors are a good swap for A7 mirrors you'll have to buy some sort of aftermarket camera and drill the A7 mirrors, not fun but can be done and would work.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
$3000'ish sounds more than reasonable and cheaper / easier than selling and buying a new car.
Car "toys" are fun - but why spend $3K or more for a surround view camera. Are you seriously having that much trouble parking?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
Car "toys" are fun - but why spend $3K or more for a surround view camera. Are you seriously having that much trouble parking?
It's the same argument when Navigation first came out. Can read a Thomas Guide or a MapQuest printout. Or why someone needs a FLIR camera. There are plenty of expensive options. Most of us can not rationally justify absolutely having them. For that matter why do we need a $60-100K car when a $20-40 will get us where we need as well.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finally sorted it out myself. It was the parking controller as I suspected, it was too old to support the new camera system, it was ok with the old reverse camera, but not the new one.

So first of all I tried a park assist / park steer controller and this worked for the camera, but not the parking system as it was looking for 4 extra sensors for the park steer system, so £50 wasted there.

I bought a controller with just park assist software and hardware support and after coding with VAS it worked perfectly.

My car was a very early A7 so the parking system just couldn't support the new camera system and no amount of coding would have fixed it.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just FYI, I'm no beginner to Audi, I have been doing retrofits for over 8 years, have a VAS 5052 and VCDS, work for many Audi dealerships fitting systems for them. So I know what I'm doing. Just had limited info to go on.

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
Module needs to be "activated" in order to work. If you buy all new parts and put them in the car and wire it up properly as well as make correct VAG changes and it still doesn't work at all, or only after doing a reset this is a STRONG possibility. The module would need to be activated by an Audi dealer. Unless you have a great working relationship most aren't going to activate a module for a customer for a DIY job, especially for part that wasn't part of the original build. Too much liability. If you use one already activated from a breakers you are much less likely to have problems. If that still doesn't work then there is another issue.

It is also possible to hook up side (mirror) camera's as well but since there are no official A7 camera mirrors and none of the other models that do have cameras in their side mirrors are a good swap for A7 mirrors you'll have to buy some sort of aftermarket camera and drill the A7 mirrors, not fun but can be done and would work.

Quick Reply: Surround View Camera - Retrofit