A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

T-Mobile to Downgrade Wireless Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger66
I bought my car in May and haven't been able to use any of the data features(google earth, hotspot, etc.) Every time I tried I got the network connection error or it timed out. After joining the forum I learned of the T-Mobile issue and contacted AOA. After waiting nearly 90 days for them to review my file and make a decision on whether or not I am worthy of an upgrade, yesterday they tell me I can get 2 months of 2G service for free. If I like the 2G speed then I can purchase a subscription plan. They told me I am not eligible for the hardware replacement.

Is this typical? Is there anyway I can get the free hardware upgrade later? I asked the customer service rep these questions and she said "I don't know, maybe."

Thoughts?
You have to have an active T-Mo sim via the Audi Connect plan and they should change the module for free. Do you have the T-Mobile simple card? Is the plan active? What Audi model and year do you have?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car in May and haven't been able to use any of the data features(google earth, hotspot, etc.) Every time I tried I got the network connection error or it timed out. After joining the forum I learned of the T-Mobile issue and contacted AOA. After waiting nearly 90 days for them to review my file and make a decision on whether or not I am worthy of an upgrade, yesterday they tell me I can get 2 months of 2G service for free. If I like the 2G speed then I can purchase a subscription plan. They told me I am not eligible for the hardware replacement.

Is this typical? Is there anyway I can get the free hardware upgrade later? I asked the customer service rep these questions and she said "I don't know, maybe."

Thoughts?

Damn that sucks because Im waiting on the same thing from AoA..When i tried to activate the original T-Mobile Sim 2 months it stated I couldnt and had to call AoA. I wonder if the dealer can do this update instead of waiting for AoA to make a decision ?? I have 2nd SIM which works but that 2g is a killer.

Last edited by burlgoat53; 08-03-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got a call from AOA and supposedly this 2-month trial is just to buy them some time while they get more upgrade modules in stock. Once they do, they will offer customers "a more permanent resolution."

2G is not too bad for the google earth stuff in the car, but it is too slow for use as a hotspot.

Two local dealers had no clue about this issue and one even stated they would charge me for the repair until AOA sent them some accounting code information. I decided to cancel the appointment since I didn't have the authorization letter.

Hopefully, your dealer is better.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got a call from AOA and supposedly this 2-month trial is just to buy them some time while they get more upgrade modules in stock. Once they do, they will offer customers "a more permanent resolution."

2G is not too bad for the google earth stuff in the car, but it is too slow for use as a hotspot.

Two local dealers had no clue about this issue and one even stated they would charge me for the repair until AOA sent them some accounting code information. I decided to cancel the appointment since I didn't have the authorization letter.

Hopefully, your dealer is better.
Dear Mr. Valencia,

Thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding while we reviewed available options for your 2012 Audi A7 with regard to the Audi connect services in the vehicle.

Audi of America would like to offer you two months of the available Audi Connect service at no charge. This trial period is intended to familiarize you with the services and the 2G signal strength available to your vehicle should you choose to obtain a subscription through Audi connect. While we understand this is likely not the answer you are seeking, we appreciate the opportunity you provided by allowing us to research this matter on your behalf.

If you have any additional questions, you may reply to this e-mail or call us by phone at +1 800 822 2834. We are here to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Kind regards,

I just got the same BS email lol
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

oh wow...it must be the case which sounds like a temporary fix..When i spoke to a rep about a week ago, she stated there was almost one million claims open for just this issue.I'm still waiting on the call LOL

Last edited by burlgoat53; 08-03-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CVG323
Dear Mr. Valencia,

Thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding while we reviewed available options for your 2012 Audi A7 with regard to the Audi connect services in the vehicle.

Audi of America would like to offer you two months of the available Audi Connect service at no charge. This trial period is intended to familiarize you with the services and the 2G signal strength available to your vehicle should you choose to obtain a subscription through Audi connect. While we understand this is likely not the answer you are seeking, we appreciate the opportunity you provided by allowing us to research this matter on your behalf.

If you have any additional questions, you may reply to this e-mail or call us by phone at +1 800 822 2834. We are here to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Kind regards,

I just got the same BS email lol
There are owners who got the module changed. Mine was changed in Audi chantilly, I got the letter from tmobile and while I was waiting for AoA response, I went to the dealer and the problem was fixed. Just to clarify, my service was active that's why tmobile sent me the letter.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Sounds like they can't stock the part fast enough. The early markets where T-Mobile did the upgrade probably got the parts relatively quickly, but now that more and more are affected, they are running out of parts. My dealer had it in stock. Hardware exchange was done the same day I dropped off the car. However, they should say that instead of give you BS about not being eligible. As long as you have an active Audi connect subscription and you live in a market where T-Mobile has upgraded your network, you are eligible for the hardware exchange. Most dealers in areas where the upgrade just happened have no clue, so don't waste your time until you can show them a letter or something from AoA.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

well i just got hit with the ole " 2 month free trial period" and no word on the upgrade SMH...Asked the rep numerous times if i was even eligible for the module upgrade and I got reverted to the "just try the trial first and see if you like it" UGGHHHH... The rep would not answer that question to save her life. I told her it makes no sense to keep using and renewing for 2G service and got reverted again to the same question...

Too funny
Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by burlgoat53
well i just got hit with the ole " 2 month free trial period" and no word on the upgrade SMH...Asked the rep numerous times if i was even eligible for the module upgrade and I got reverted to the "just try the trial first and see if you like it" UGGHHHH... The rep would not answer that question to save her life. I told her it makes no sense to keep using and renewing for 2G service and got reverted again to the same question...

Too funny
I purchased my CPO 2013 A7 a few months back, and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I activated the Audi Connect service immediately after purchasing the car, but was unaware of any issues related to the T-Mobile change until recently. I'd tried connecting my son's iPad to the wifi hotspot so that he could be connected while on a trip, and the performance was terrible/unusable. It was then that I noticed it was only indicating 2G... Which lead me here.

Last week, I called Audi to see what the situation was. I was told that the free module replacement letters had only been sent to owners who had an active subscription at the time of the change. I was also told that Audi USA had ordered more of the components in order to meet that demand, and that they currently only have plans to fix those owners already identified, and those owners had been prioritized. I was referred to my dealer for any other questions. The Audi USA rep could not provide any further information on the likelihood that the offer would be extended to other groups of owners.

It doesn't sound too hopeful, frankly. I'm going to see if the dealer can offer any options, and I'll also enquire how much the module replacement is likely to cost (parts/labor) if Audi USA don't extend the offer to later owners/subscribers who missed that initial selection window.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I contacted AOA about the upgrade, as my 2 free months are set to expire on Monday. I was told that I can either pay for the 2G service or let it lapse, "the choice is mine". They are not going to offer me the upgrade. "There are not enough modules available to meet everyone's needs and if at some point there is, we will consider making them available for purchase."

So either pay for the nearly unusable 2G service or have a major selling point of the vehicle be totally inoperable.

I was also told that they haven't figured out any reduced pricing for the data plan even though they know you are only getting 2G speed vs. 3G.

I'm really disappointed with my Audi experience, thus far. This is my first and probably last Audi.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile to Downgrade Wireless Speed