Terrible Gas Mileage? New Member Help - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A7 / S7 / RS 7 > A7
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Terrible Gas Mileage? New Member Help

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Default Terrible Gas Mileage? New Member Help

Hey guys -

So I picked up my new 2014 A7 TFSI from the dealer about a month ago. I could go on and on about its beauty and performance but that's been said many times before. I love the car, but am astonished at the very low gas mileage I'm getting. In city driving, I'm averaging between 10-12 /MPH, and on the highway around 17-18 / MPH.

I live in Santa Monica, CA and drive city about 90% of the time, most of which avoids stop-and-go traffic. I certainly don't accelerate hard most of the time, but here and there I do. Most of the time, the Auto drive function is on and I usually take short trips (30min max). In every other car I've driven, I usually average right around the EPA benchmark. But this car is killing me with this terrible efficiency.

If I knew it would be this bad, I would have gotten the TDI instead. Do you guys have any idea what's wrong?
tjr132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Sorry - its 10-12/MPG city and 17-18/MPG highway. Not the MPH. In the city, I'm probably average 30-40 MPH.
tjr132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
feralc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Are you sure you are not "testing" your new car more often than needed?
__________________
FERRARI 360 SPIDER F1 2003
COBRA 1965
DUCATI DIAVEL 2011 CARBON RED
GRAND CHEROKEE ALTITUDE 2015


GONE (BUT NOT FORGOTTEN)
-AUDI A7 PRESTIGE 2012 GIAC STAGE 2 (460HP AND 420 FT-LBS), AWE TOURING DIAMOND BLACK EXHAUST, INJEN INTAKE, EIBACH SPRINGS, MOONLIGHT BLUE/VELVET BEIGE, FULL LEDS, SIDE ASSIST, 20" WHEELS, VAG-COM MODS.
-PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2004
-HARLEY DAVIDSON NIGHT ROD SPECIAL 2009
-MERCEDES BENZ SL55 2003 527BHP, 557FT-LBS NO SPEED LIMITER.
-PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4 2000 MILLENIUM EDITION
-BMW 325CI F1 CABRIO 2003
feralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Omnipotent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windermere, FL.
Posts: 124
Default

Shouldn't be anywhere near that bad..?

That's NA V8 territory.
__________________
2013 A7 - Revo tune |Stasis Exhaust |Injen Intake |Eibach Springs | S7 pedals | S7 shift **** | Niche Targa 20x10.5
Omnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
 
tenspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Honeoye New York USA
Posts: 2,377
Default

Start by checking your tire air pressure. Soft tires will drink gas.

What mode do you usually drive in?
__________________
As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 32
Default

Are you putting 91octane gas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr132 View Post
Hey guys -

So I picked up my new 2014 A7 TFSI from the dealer about a month ago. I could go on and on about its beauty and performance but that's been said many times before. I love the car, but am astonished at the very low gas mileage I'm getting. In city driving, I'm averaging between 10-12 /MPH, and on the highway around 17-18 / MPH.

I live in Santa Monica, CA and drive city about 90% of the time, most of which avoids stop-and-go traffic. I certainly don't accelerate hard most of the time, but here and there I do. Most of the time, the Auto drive function is on and I usually take short trips (30min max). In every other car I've driven, I usually average right around the EPA benchmark. But this car is killing me with this terrible efficiency.

If I knew it would be this bad, I would have gotten the TDI instead. Do you guys have any idea what's wrong?
__________________
_______________________________

AUDI A7 2012 PRESTIGE
ACURA NSX 1992 - 02 Converted. - SOLD
MERCEDES-BENZ GL450 2013
dreamerstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 433
Default

I see more Teslas in Santa Monica than anything else these days. What were you driving prior to the A7? Perhaps you have some old habits to break or maybe you're not driving hard enough? I you've been doing nothing buy city since you bought it, you need to break it in properly and go for a drive on an open highway and put some miles on it.
in2dwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
Chief of Goat control
 
Kris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 66,549,960
Send a message via MSN to Kris Hansen
Default

I'd certainly ask at your dealer. I've actually found the 3.0TFSI engine to be pretty frugal considering its output, those numbers sound way too low.
__________________
Kris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 501
Default

What's your instant MPG? For me cruising at 60-70mph on a flat surface with cruise control (DCC) on my instant MPG is 29-33.

As previous post said check your tier pressures. With cold snaps around the country your pressure might be low. I run at 35 front and 33 rear. Always check this with cold tires.
chicagoA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
looking@audi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr132 View Post
Hey guys -

So I picked up my new 2014 A7 TFSI from the dealer about a month ago.
Mileage will improve as the engine gets broken in. Give it some time.

In the interim - relax and enjoy your A7.
looking@audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Start by checking your tire air pressure. Soft tires will drink gas.

What mode do you usually drive in?
I will check the tire pressure, that is a good idea. I'm usually driving in Auto mode, but I don't see a huge difference in any of the moods - its all the same.
tjr132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoA6 View Post
What's your instant MPG? For me cruising at 60-70mph on a flat surface with cruise control (DCC) on my instant MPG is 29-33.

As previous post said check your tier pressures. With cold snaps around the country your pressure might be low. I run at 35 front and 33 rear. Always check this with cold tires.
I'm quoting off the "instant" MPG. I haven't been over 20 MPG at all since I've got it
tjr132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dwww View Post
I see more Teslas in Santa Monica than anything else these days. What were you driving prior to the A7? Perhaps you have some old habits to break or maybe you're not driving hard enough? I you've been doing nothing buy city since you bought it, you need to break it in properly and go for a drive on an open highway and put some miles on it.
Well said, thank you I will try this.
tjr132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
gatorguy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr132 View Post
I'm quoting off the "instant" MPG. I haven't been over 20 MPG at all since I've got it
Yikes, I would definitely bring it up to your dealer if you don't find the problem yourself. I'm not sure that even with low tire pressure and within the break in period, it would be that low.
__________________
2013 Estoril Blue S6
20" Giovanna Sardina's|ECS Spacers|Custom Spoiler|30% Ceramic Tint|Blacked out filler panel|Escort Max hardwired|Escort ZR4 Laser Shifters|Opti-coat 2.0|Stasis Rear Sway Bar|Audi Puddle Lights

Other rides:
Hottest wife ever
Her 2010 BMW M5
2008 Ford Expedition
gatorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
Default

Make sure you are in Auto mode on the MMI console (which I believe you said you were in), in addition if you have the sport, make sure you're not accidentally in D/S, just D. On a side note, you're in Santa Monica, quit complaining...if we were all that lucky!
MacA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacA7 View Post
Make sure you are in Auto mode on the MMI console (which I believe you said you were in), in addition if you have the sport, make sure you're not accidentally in D/S, just D. On a side note, you're in Santa Monica, quit complaining...if we were all that lucky!
Same issue, 2013 with about 6k miles. If I do all city driving (Chicago suburbs) and no highway at all, I struggle to get to 270 - 280 without the fuel light going off. If I do highways as well I get about 325-330.
Mostly on comfort mode all the time.

Kinda annoying that I can't get to 300 some, maybe I'll blame it on the polar vortex for now
vishkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
AudiWorld Member
 
jfourman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 135
Default

I would take your car to the dealer and insist that something needs tuning.

I live in Chicago with a 2012 prestige, 25K miles. In the city, I usually drive in sport mode and am fast off the start. I get 21-23 mpg in city driving. On the highway I set the ACC at 79 mph and get 29 mpg on winter tires and 32 mpg on summer tires. Last summer I drove from Chicago to KC MO (524 miles) on a single tank of gas. I love the range I can get with this car.
__________________
A7 owner since April 10, 2012 :
2012 A7 Prestige 3.0 TFSI | Moonlight Blue | Nougat Brown | Ash Inlay | Black Headliner | 19" Sport Package with 5 Spoke Wheels | Cold Weather Package | Innovation Package
jfourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Hey guys - thanks so much for your help so far - I still haven't gotten this fuel efficiency problem resolved. I went in for a car wash and had Audi check the tire pressure. While waiting, I ran my problem by a tech and he said I should schedule a fuel-consumption test done by them the following week. After driving off with my car and realizing the problem wasn't fixed, I called to schedule an appointment and was told by a diff rep that they couldn't fix it. Instead, he told me the car takes 5,000 miles to break in, after which I would see improved fuel efficiency. I only have 500 miles on it so far, 90% city, so maybe he's right, but this still seems fishy. I would rather Audi tune it instead of me having to take a 300-mile trip just to break it in with some highway miles. Anyone out there with a similar story? Also, any tips on breaking it in futher? Maybe I just need to demand that Audi looks at it.
tjr132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Default

I have about 5800 miles so far. I guess I'll wait for another 1000 to see if it gets any becomes better?
One other thing I'm trying this time is I pumped gas at a different gas station(not sure if this matters)and driving in Auto mode instead of Comfort. So far with 25 miles the range shows 340,lets see how it goes.If it hits close to 300 - 310 without the warning going off, I would be happy

I will go to the dealer when I get a chance and see if they can find something.

Guys, How much range does a full tank show? Mine is around 410-420 most of the time
vishkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #20
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
I would take your car to the dealer and insist that something needs tuning.

I live in Chicago with a 2012 prestige, 25K miles. In the city, I usually drive in sport mode and am fast off the start. I get 21-23 mpg in city driving. On the highway I set the ACC at 79 mph and get 29 mpg on winter tires and 32 mpg on summer tires. Last summer I drove from Chicago to KC MO (524 miles) on a single tank of gas. I love the range I can get with this car.
Do you let your car warm up at all in cold temperatures? My car usually sits outside all day at the train station and I start driving after a min or so. The engine heat guage is usually at 1 bar most of the time. Maybe this could be a reason as well?
vishkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community