A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Tranny won't upshift

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny won't upshift

I'm currently in FL and have noticed for the past month that transmission won't up shift until 2500 rpm for about 15 min after a "cold start" (if you consider 75 degrees cold ). If I shift to neutral and gun the engine it seems to fix itself and if I use the paddle shifter I can sometimes get it to shift. Typically around where I drive, speed limit is 35. Previously this would mean I'm typically in 6th and sometimes 7th gear if on cruise. Now it seems to stay in 3rd gear. Not sure if problem is engine-related like when it is really cold in the ne and engine needs to warm up vs if it's tranny.

Curious to see if anyone else has had this problem or not. Will be scheduling a visit to dealership and likely get my 25k done at 23k. Will be asking for upgrade to map and mami update as well.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hate to ask, but is it possible you are accidentally getting the car into "Sport" mode (D + S showing on the cluster display)? That mode delays upshifts. When in that mode, I definitely notice it will not shift if I'm casually moving at certain speed similar to what you describe, and not accelerating. For the record, I live in central Florida and most of the time my A7 reaches normal operating temp (per the gauge) in under 5 minutes while driving under 30 mph on the way out of my subdivision.

If you are sure it's not Sport mode, and can conclusively correlate it to engine temp, sure sounds like a problem for the dealership to check out.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter
Hate to ask, but is it possible you are accidentally getting the car into "Sport" mode (D + S showing on the cluster display)? That mode delays upshifts. When in that mode, I definitely notice it will not shift if I'm casually moving at certain speed similar to what you describe, and not accelerating. For the record, I live in central Florida and most of the time my A7 reaches normal operating temp (per the gauge) in under 5 minutes while driving under 30 mph on the way out of my subdivision.

If you are sure it's not Sport mode, and can conclusively correlate it to engine temp, sure sounds like a problem for the dealership to check out.
I made that mistake last year (going into sport mode by accidentally being a little aggressive with the shifter going a little past D) so I know it was in D and not S. Also forgot to mention that for about the same time I've had to force the auto shut off when stopped by pushing that button off and then on. That feature doesn't bother me as that's the way my fusion hybrid worked which the 7 replaced and my wife now uses. My service tech was on vacation today and returns to work tomorrow. I left him a vm today and if I don't hear back tomorrow by about 2 pm will call him. As I am a telecommuter, no harm done as can't go anywhere anyway as I work m-f.

Off topic, where in central fl. There are several of us from Deerfield south along 95 corridor. I'm in hallandale beach.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just looked at your signature. Did you go to the tampa meet on the 14th? Unfortunately there is no ACNA activity in se coast of fl but more action up closer to you. Prestige imports was approached a couple of years ago to host an event but guess they are too snobby to participate given its Miami-based and they also sell ambos (also part of the audi family like Bentley).
Old 03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just spoke with my service rep. Before I could complete my sentence he stated that there is a tsb for my issue and I need a new tranny module. They will look into the auto engine stop malfunction, loss of Google earth connection, loss of phone connection as well as iPod. Hoping this results in updated mmi. Also told him it's not too reassuring while driving on 95 at 75 and dashboard message asks if my key is in the car. Will update everyone once I get car back.

Last edited by Mitodad; 03-31-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Went to another dealership today to introduce myself. I also have videos of instrument panel while driving. Initial one shows a nearly 500rpm difference while in D mode when first starting in warm weather. Was nearly going 1800-1900 rpm traveling at about 35-40 mph coasting. Next video was hovering about 1200 doing 45-50. Between that and having to force auto stop start by pressing button a couple of times, new dealership is questioning if I'm having intermittent thermostat issues even though no warnings. Will be bringing it to them after I get my car back from sales dealership as it was re wrapped today (see my other thread about prestige Audi in n. Miami).
Old 05-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Similar problems

Originally Posted by Mitodad
Went to another dealership today to introduce myself. I also have videos of instrument panel while driving. Initial one shows a nearly 500rpm difference while in D mode when first starting in warm weather. Was nearly going 1800-1900 rpm traveling at about 35-40 mph coasting. Next video was hovering about 1200 doing 45-50. Between that and having to force auto stop start by pressing button a couple of times, new dealership is questioning if I'm having intermittent thermostat issues even though no warnings. Will be bringing it to them after I get my car back from sales dealership as it was re wrapped today (see my other thread about prestige Audi in n. Miami).
My 2013 A7 key light turned on while I was driving and the dealership changed the battery in the key. And I had a problem with shifting and/or the brake applied. AOA repaired and claimed it was an anomaly. Go figure
Old 05-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My "is the key in the car" light came on again. This was after the AD changed the battery in the key. Has your issues been corrected?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haven't had the car long enough since I brought the car in over a month ago. I am supposed to be able to pick it up again sometime today now that the bodywork is done and the doors have been re-wrapped. Then I'm bringing it to a new dealership on Saturday to see if they can find any probs. I did change my battery about three weeks previously yet still got the message on the freeway anyway. Go figure.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Latest on my problem. Still having problems. Put car in manual after getting stuck in 1gear. Turns out car will not shift into 5th even with the paddles and revving to 2500 rpm. Finally had to put car in neutral and gun the engine twice and then car shifted into 5. Was able to paddle into 6 and 7 as well but speed was too slow to attempt 8th. After that switching back to D mode and everything was fine. Wish whatever the problem was it would throw some codes.

Quick Reply: Tranny won't upshift