A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Tried ATT sim card on my A7....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbb09
I know from the German A7 that they can use the bluetooth connection to the phone for data as well, ie you could use your verizon phone to provide a data connection for the MMI.

Maybe there's something that can be changed with Vagcom.
The trouble with doing data over bluetooth for me is that iPhone does not support it! Grrr
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cbb09
Yep. I drove one a while ago and discovered that tethering works over smartphone and that they have a new iPod cable that allows video and cover art...
I have not seen any MMI settings that would allow tethering (the car routing all of **** data traffic through the user's handset instead of the onboard radio using a SIM). Granted, the phone has to allow this, but what steps did you take to enable this?

The MMI manual should explain how to do this, but I don't have my car yet so I don't have one to look through.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hashluck
The trouble with doing data over bluetooth for me is that iPhone does not support it! Grrr
It does if you jailbreak it.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikesm559
I have not seen any MMI settings that would allow tethering (the car routing all of **** data traffic through the user's handset instead of the onboard radio using a SIM). Granted, the phone has to allow this, but what steps did you take to enable this?

The MMI manual should explain how to do this, but I don't have my car yet so I don't have one to look through.
I think the German car was set-up to use tether via bluetooth. I think this function is turned off in US cars and I wonder if that can be changed via vagcom.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone start poking around with vagcom
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by aquarian

I was able to use ATT sim card for google map ONLY. Other online functions of the car don't seem to be working with the ATT sim card. Plus, you only get 2G instead of 3G - see attached photo.
Did the sim perform at 3G speeds in a 3G device?
What online functions did not work? POI? etc etc?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this post out
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2811591
Old 06-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IT IS WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM NOT GPS
Mine works just fine like that, I tried with the blacnk spaces but didnt work, also I have it Normal not secure.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was using wap.cingular, I believe this setting is pretty old, there are new ones, I checked what my Blackberry 9900 4G was using and it was just "phone", so I found this website what I did is just type "phone" in APN no username no password.
That will work perfectly in AT&T (2G)
http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=yblM7-KgoZY
I used wap.cingular and it worked, isp.cigular never worked, and I never tried PTA nor broadband.
Although the website says you cannot use it for tethering, it works fine, you can use other devices with the car's wifi hotspot as well.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

feralc, I am a little confused by your post, but you seem to have something working, can you please elaborate exactly what you have working?

I have a new 2012 A7 and I want to try to use my iphone's AT&T data plan to provide google maps data to the car. Is that what you're doing or are you putting an AT&T sim into the car?

Ideally if I could tether the car to my iphone then as phones improve in the future, so would the car's data access. I'm really annoyed that I have to buy T-Mobile data plan just to use google maps on the car.

Quick Reply: Tried ATT sim card on my A7....