A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Tried ATT sim card on my A7....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dewdman42
feralc, I am a little confused by your post, but you seem to have something working, can you please elaborate exactly what you have working?

I have a new 2012 A7 and I want to try to use my iphone's AT&T data plan to provide google maps data to the car. Is that what you're doing or are you putting an AT&T sim into the car?

Ideally if I could tether the car to my iphone then as phones improve in the future, so would the car's data access. I'm really annoyed that I have to buy T-Mobile data plan just to use google maps on the car.
I hope this helps, the Tmobile sim card will give you 3g connection, the AT&T will give you only 2G but the car stores the maps you frequent drive so that is enough in my experience, I am not sure if Iphones have a normal size sim card or the smaller that the IPADs have, if that is the case you would need to get an adapter so you can use the sim card in your phone in your car, so answering the question you need to take out the sim card and insert it into the car, by doing so you will not have phone capabilities in your car, it is not like your car becomes a giant phone, in Europe if you do this (I have heard) you can make phone calls using the sim card in the car, but here in the US you cannot. Regarding tethering you are confused is the other way around, let's think you are in the car and you are using the google maps etc but also you have an ipad, you would be able to connect to the car's wifi hopspot and surf the web through the ipad (in the real world even with the tmobile 3g connection is extraordinarly slow). So tethering works (using the car as a hotspot not your iphone) but is useless.
Back to the technicals, when you insert the sim card you go to connection settings and in APN only type "phone" leave password blank by entering a space and wait a couple of minutes and that's it you would be able to use the AtT network at 2g speed, if you have further problems let me know and I will be happy to help, it is really simple.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

By the way Verizon and AT&T came with data shared planes for smartphones, ipads etc so I really doubt you can use the verizons sim card because it is a complete different tecnology vs Tmobile and AT&T but if you have AT&T you can ask them to share your plan with your "ipad" and use that sim card (at 2g) with your car for 10 dlls per month vs 30 dlls tmobile audi connect 3g service, and the google maps will not kill you with overage, just a thought.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any body have or know of a step by step instruction for this for those of us who are technologically challeged. I did not buy the T-mobile plan. I have unlimited AT&T. I have the ihone 4 and ipad. Regards.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wpbA7
Does any body have or know of a step by step instruction for this for those of us who are technologically challeged. I did not buy the T-mobile plan. I have unlimited AT&T. I have the ihone 4 and ipad. Regards.
when you insert the sim card you go to connection settings and in APN only type "phone" leave password blank by entering a space and wait a couple of minutes and that's it you would be able to use the AtT network at 2g speed
Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hashluck
So what I want to do is connect my iPhone with Bluetooth snd use it for calls (and maybe streaming audio) and insert a Data Plan Only SIM into the car for On-Line Services Google Maps etc.

Is this possible?
YES its possible. You need to make sure you have the data plan/ Audi Connect and your iPhone. Connect your phone thru the Bluetooth. You also need to make sure the phone is connected via the WiFi. On the MMI screen select "source" and select "iphone". this will allow the phone to stream music apps and the music player in your phone. I have a whole folder for music apps. Ex: DI Radio, Fusion Radio, iHeartRadio, mix.dj, Pandora and Gaydar Radio in London. All of the apps use the data connection to stream the music and the music plays through the B&O Sound flawlessly w no interruption.
I hope this helps
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UberS5
YES its possible. You need to make sure you have the data plan/ Audi Connect and your iPhone. Connect your phone thru the Bluetooth. You also need to make sure the phone is connected via the WiFi. On the MMI screen select "source" and select "iphone". this will allow the phone to stream music apps and the music player in your phone. I have a whole folder for music apps. Ex: DI Radio, Fusion Radio, iHeartRadio, mix.dj, Pandora and Gaydar Radio in London. All of the apps use the data connection to stream the music and the music plays through the B&O Sound flawlessly w no interruption.
I hope this helps
I know there is not other way to do this currently, but this seems like so much work constantly. I'd much rather have a Pandora app in the car that would just work without fumbling with things when I get into the car. I hope Audi realizes this and will make it available at some point.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UberS5
I hope this helps
I can confirm this works WITHOUT a WiFi connection to Audi Connect. Initially it didn't for me but that was because I didn't have Bluetooth Audio toggled in the Audi MMI Bluetooth Setup screen.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by swassbac
I can confirm this works WITHOUT a WiFi connection to Audi Connect. Initially it didn't for me but that was because I didn't have Bluetooth Audio toggled in the Audi MMI Bluetooth Setup screen.
You are absolutely correct. Audi Connect Wifi has no relationship to bluetooth music streaming from a mobile device. The bluetooth audio setting for the device is required as well as selecting the correct bluetooth/device source in the MMI. Pandora works great for me.
Sirius, Pandora, iPhone music and video library, SD card, Jukebox, HD radio, AM/FM....so many choices and so little time.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Won't work with At&t SIM

Nuts! tried everything:- nothing works

I even called At&t and added car's IMEI. Still no go. Data transferred 0bites. I get the 2G light up though in the lower right of the MMI screen...

What am I doing wrong? WAG-COM tricks?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Necser
Nuts! tried everything:- nothing works

I even called At&t and added car's IMEI. Still no go. Data transferred 0bites. I get the 2G light up though in the lower right of the MMI screen...

What am I doing wrong? WAG-COM tricks?
Phone password blank and wait a couple of mins
It is not immediately, if does not work remove the sim card and reinsert

Quick Reply: Tried ATT sim card on my A7....