A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Ventilated front seats question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A6ninja
No there is nothing wrong with your seats. I recently dropped my car for service as I thought there was something wrong with the vented seats. The service adviser called me and said "both fans are working perfectly, they just do a really poor job." I was shocked she herself said that. She went on to tell me how everyone who has them complains about poorly they cool. I asked her to please vac the seats to pull any dirt from the perfs in the leather. I recently drove my uncles Ford truck and the seats were ice cold inside of 5 minutes! Audi should be ashamed!! I will try the foot well AC trick, hopefully that helps because its 114 degrees here today!
Ford trucks are probably the best I have experienced.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was originally told they were cooled. When I went back to complain I was told they just don't work so good by the service manager. I am close to trying the California lemon law.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bennie1432
I was originally told they were cooled. When I went back to complain I was told they just don't work so good by the service manager. I am close to trying the California lemon law.
Why don't you get rid of the car? On the other forum thread regarding your GPS which was malfunctioning, you were wanting to pull the trigger on the lemon law. Are you THAT unhappy with the car or do you want to try out the lemon law?

I think the specs indicate that the seats are ventilated. That doesn't mean cooled. It simply blows existing cabin air on your ***.
Z
Old 07-02-2015, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

As mentioned in the last post, Audi clearly lists them as "ventilated" seats, not "cooling" seats. Despite what someone may have told you (or your expectations), they are designed to pull (not push) moisture away from your body and operate using the cabin's ambient temperature. Assuming they work as the manufacturer has described, a lemon law won't help you.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As mentioned in the last post, Audi clearly lists them as "ventilated" seats, not "cooling" seats. Despite what someone may have told you (or your expectations), they are designed to pull (not push) moisture away from your body and operate using the cabin's ambient temperature. Assuming they work as the manufacturer has described, a lemon law won't help you.
On my car, the seats push air out of the vent, albeit poorly. this was confirmed by putting tissue paper on the seat, and turning on the fan.

They significantly reduce the "swamp back" you get in the summer compared to a non vented leather seat.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
On my car, the seats push air out of the vent, albeit poorly. this was confirmed by putting tissue paper on the seat, and turning on the fan.

They significantly reduce the "swamp back" you get in the summer compared to a non vented leather seat.
Some push, some pull. I haven't figured out which models do which. Mine definitely pull.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you figured how to take the seat back off?
I would like to get in there to see how the fans are hooked up, and what the ducting looks like.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car is beautiful without a doubt but, when you buy a new car you have expectations especially in this price range. All things should work and not be told they aren't really ready for prime time. If people are happy with things not quite working as they expect that is ok. Just because it runs great doesn't mean we should ignore the technology that Audi says is above everyone else. An A4 with a perfectly working GPS and an A7 with a so so GPS is not acceptable. How about the trunk that won't open with the move of the foot? These are only a couple of the many. If it all worked as advertised I would be ecstatic. I have been to two different service areas and they both think mostly working is ok.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The car is beautiful without a doubt but, when you buy a new car you have expectations especially in this price range. All things should work and not be told they aren't really ready for prime time. If people are happy with things not quite working as they expect that is ok. Just because it runs great doesn't mean we should ignore the technology that Audi says is above everyone else. An A4 with a perfectly working GPS and an A7 with a so so GPS is not acceptable. How about the trunk that won't open with the move of the foot? These are only a couple of the many. If it all worked as advertised I would be ecstatic. I have been to two different service areas and they both think mostly working is ok.
Find me any new car of any brand that is perfect and I'll eat it, piece by piece. (In 50 years of buying 35+ cars, I haven't found a perfect one yet to eat). In fact, good luck in finding any complex product that is perfect. That's not to say that if you have a real problem like perhaps your nav, that it shouldn't be corrected. But most of the A6/A7 owners would feel the other annoyances you mention like the ventilated seats and funky foot operated trunk are not significant enough to be outweighed by all the positives of these cars. Expectation of perfection will often lead to disappointment.

Finally, it's better to do your own research before purchase on the things that are important to you and not rely solely on a salesperson's claims. They often know a lot less about these cars than the folks on these forums. While some do know what they are talking about, one should take anything they say with at least a grain of salt and independent confirmation.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm fine with the air from my ventilated seats, but I live in Seattle so granted we don't get a lot of super hot days (100 this weekend!). What does bug me though is the noise level - is everyone else's fan noisy too?

Quick Reply: Ventilated front seats question...