Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A7 / S7 / RS 7 > A7
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 235216

Default What kind of oil in the 2012 Audi A7

My Audi is telling me I need to add a quart of oil. It's only got 9000 miles, so I think that's weird, but whatever...

Does anyone know what kind of oil this thing is stocked with? I'd prefer to put something similar in.
davidu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 245554

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidu View Post
My Audi is telling me I need to add a quart of oil. It's only got 9000 miles, so I think that's weird, but whatever...

Does anyone know what kind of oil this thing is stocked with? I'd prefer to put something similar in.
i just got the 25000 mile servive and on my service invoice it said castrol syntec 5w40 i believe.
adding a quart of oil at 9000 miles is within what audi calls normal consumption. i believe 1 quart every 1200 miles is within spec(don't quote me on that), but 1 quart every 9k isn't bad at all and the 3.0tfsi engine is known to consume a bit of oil, even if you were to go to the dealer they would tell you it is within spec. if you start consuming drastically more i know there is a TSB about changing out the PCV which involves taking off the supercharger and audi won't do it unless oil consumption is greater than what they consider normal, and before they do it they'll prove to themselves that it does consume oil.
2012 A7 Premium Plus - Oolong Gray Metallic - 20" Sport Package w/ 275/35/20 tires - Side Assist - Folding Mirrors - PreSense Plus - H&R spacers 12mm front / 15mm rear - VAG-COM (needle sweep, comfort access windows, VIM, One touch rear hatch close), A7 embroidered premium mats, A7 all weather cargo mat - LED license plate lights - 35% Pinnalce Tint - Aluminum power seat switch covers - STaSiS ECU

2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab - Line X Premium in bed and wheel wells - BakFlipF1- Magnaflow Exhaust - Whipple Supercharger - Method Double Standard Wheels - RPG Stage 3 Rear suspension - RPG PreRunner UCA's - RPG Tie Rods - RPG PSR - Mid Perch Mod
ray101381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 228095

Audiworld oil tech article

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

Default for USA cars:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidu View Post
Does anyone know what kind of oil this thing is stocked with?
Probably the oil used at the factory. Maybe Fuchs.

You'll always need an oil that meets VAG quality standard 502.00.

Maybe it's time to have the first oil change done??
uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Audiworld Basic Sponsor
Account #: 207873

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
Probably the oil used at the factory. Maybe Fuchs.

You'll always need an oil that meets VAG quality standard 502.00.

Maybe it's time to have the first oil change done??
I would agree with this. Seams about ready for its first oil change. Not sure if you have Audi car or not but oil changes might even be covered under that.

Wouldn't hurt to give your dealership a call.

Jason
Have questions need answers now? Live Chat! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com |customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM EST
Reach our Sales Team from: 8:30 to Midnight EST 800.924.5172
Facebook | YouTube
OEM Audi Part Number Search with Pricing - Price shop us!
ECS Tuning-Audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 237496

This TSB has a list of all oils approved by Audi.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audi_TechnicalServiceBulletin_1997-2012.pdf (235.5 KB, 143 views)
AUDI A7 2012 PRESTIGE GIAC STAGE 2, AWE EXHAUST DIAMOND BLACK TIPS 349AWHP (362 with AWE and Injen) 324AWFT-LBS (335 with AWE and Injen) @ 91 OCTANE, INJEN INTAKE, MOONLIGHT BLUE/VELVET BEIGE, FULL LEDS, SIDE ASSIST, 20" WHEELS, VAG-COM MODS, EIBACH SPRINGS. The Dyno numbers are for the stage 1
DUCATI DIAVEL 2011 CARBON RED
PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2004
COBRA 1965

GONE
HARLEY DAVIDSON NIGHT ROD SPECIAL 2009
MERCEDES BENZ SL55 2003 527BHP, 557FT-LBS NO SPEED LIMITER.
PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4 2000 MILLENIUM EDITION
BMW 325CI F1 CABRIO 2003
feralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 277671

I am getting ready to get my first Oil Change in my A7 at 25k miles (I bought it with 16k on there) and I am wondering what you all are using for Oil? I know that the cap says to use Castrol....I have tried looking through a couple of Audi Pdfs that suggest oil types but to be honest I really don't know the difference between all the viscosities....

In my old car, I always used Mobile 1 Full Synthetic, but I am not sure what viscosity it was. I am planning to go to the dealer for at least my first Oil Change because the car feels new to me, eventhough I know they usually are much more expensive than independent shops, so I am sure they will recommend something, but just want to go in there with an idea of what to ask for.

Thanks for your advice!

2006 Lexus GS430 Glacier Frost Mica (SOLD)
A7Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 24101

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7Lani View Post
I am getting ready to get my first Oil Change in my A7 at 25k miles (I bought it with 16k on there) and I am wondering what you all are using for Oil? I know that the cap says to use Castrol....I have tried looking through a couple of Audi Pdfs that suggest oil types but to be honest I really don't know the difference between all the viscosities....

In my old car, I always used Mobile 1 Full Synthetic, but I am not sure what viscosity it was. I am planning to go to the dealer for at least my first Oil Change because the car feels new to me, eventhough I know they usually are much more expensive than independent shops, so I am sure they will recommend something, but just want to go in there with an idea of what to ask for.

Thanks for your advice!
Synthetic 5W40 is the recommended viscosity for all temperature ranges. There is a detailed write up in the owners manual. I use Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) which I believe most dealers use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7sig.jpg (83.6 KB, 95 views)
BasicSlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7Lani View Post

Thanks for your advice!
Any oil that carries the VAG 502.00 spec works. The VAG spec contains a minimum viscosity criteria so as long as it shows 502.00 on the bottle, you're good to go. It's very simple.

I think the most common oil is the Mobil, not Mobile, 1 0W40. Easily found at W*mart @ $25 for 5 qts.
uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
0il, 2012, 30tfsi, a6, a7, allroad, audi, giac, kind, oil, put, q7, tune, type, use