A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Wheel and tire insurance for A7 (19")... How much should it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and tire insurance for A7 (19")... How much should it be?

Anyone recently purchased wheel and tire insurance from your dealer? I'm considering getting it for my A7 (stock 19" wheels). In my area, the risk of hitting a major pothole is pretty high. The dealer is offering a 5 year coverage plan through IAS, no deductible, covers replacement as well as cosmetic damage repairs. The initial quote was insanely high: over $2000. Negotiated down to $1870. Still seems too high. 3 months ago we purchased a similar coverage (from another dealer) for my wife's Q3 for $900. I get the wheel / tire difference between Q3 and A7 etc but doubling the premium feels like a rip-off. Or am I wrong?

Update: I was able to purchase wheel and tire insurance for the A7 from my Q3 dealer. Similar package (5yrs coverage, including cosmetic damage) for almost half the price of what the A7 dealer was asking. So, to answer my original question, $2000 or even $1800, is too overpriced.

Last edited by Alex; 05-31-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ask the dealer that sold you the Q3 wheel insurance how much to insure the A7 wheels. Shop around for the best deal. Your local wheel repair shop might sell policies too.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wheel ins

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Ask the dealer that sold you the Q3 wheel insurance how much to insure the A7 wheels. Shop around for the best deal. Your local wheel repair shop might sell policies too.
I believe the dealer quoted me 1200 or 1500 for a 2013 A7 which I declined
Old 05-17-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

$2K will cover a lot of repairs. Unless you're destroyed multiple wheels every season, keep the money in your pocket and just replace as needed. Additionally your state will likely refund you some money -usually a few hundred dollars- when the damage is due to potholes.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by melland
$2K will cover a lot of repairs. Unless you're destroyed multiple wheels every season, keep the money in your pocket and just replace as needed. Additionally your state will likely refund you some money -usually a few hundred dollars- when the damage is due to potholes.
Unfortunately, MA is not one of those states. No refund for pothole damage on state roads here (unless it's a personal injury). Cities and towns may refund. But it is a big MAY as far as I understand.

You are right, it will take more then one destroyed wheel to break even. I figured an OEM 19" wheel is at least $500 + about $300 for a tire + labor, TPMS, and other small stuff. Two busted wheels may cost close to $1800 (and cover the premium). Everything else will be a benefit on top. Over the course of five years (the policy period) this scenario is not unlikely but still a hard sell for me. If the premium was around $1500 (better yet $900 as for the Q3), I'd be convinced.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Actually, it is exactly what I have done. But the Q3 sales person was kind of ** difficult to deal with **. Did not even respond to my inquiry. I figured he was not interested since I did not purchase the A7 from him. It is his right though.

Kind of shopping around here now.

Last edited by Alex; 05-29-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most wheels can get repaired.....cheap. I live in Michigan and I drive for work....I've yet to totally destroy a wheel.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you all for the feedback. Looks like the consensus recommendation is to pass on the insurance.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I say get it. Just in case you have a wheel fracture like me.

I took mines in recently to have them check for a small leak in my LF and do regular maint. They pulled off the tire and showed me the small fracture... new rim.. 600+, since I got the insurance... 0.

I would like the R8 rims tho.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ETAzero
I say get it. Just in case you have a wheel fracture like me.

I took mines in recently to have them check for a small leak in my LF and do regular maint. They pulled off the tire and showed me the small fracture... new rim.. 600+, since I got the insurance... 0.

I would like the R8 rims tho.

$600+ for a rim.......or $2000 for insurance? I'd still go to my wallet for a rim thank you.....or even two.....or three rims. Odds are that will never happen. And that's what we are talking about here....risk management. If the policy was $800 I'd say go for it. Any more than that I'd take my chances. (I'm an insurance agent).

18 years of driving for work.....upwards of 7 hours in a day, in northern Michigan......never destroyed a rim yet. Of course I've never hit a deer either so maybe I'm just living lucky.

Quick Reply: Wheel and tire insurance for A7 (19")... How much should it be?