A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

when to use or not use engine stop-start feature

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my test drive of a 2012 (mine's a 2013), the dealer neglected to tell me of this feature, and that it was engaged. When I stopped at a red light on what is the busiest street in West Palm Beach, the car died. After a moment of surprise (and much horn honking) I restarted the car and went back to the dealer. When I got my own car, 12 weeks later, I had it PERMANENTLY disabled. I don't like anyone messing with my "giddyup".
Old 12-05-2014, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
On my test drive of a 2012 (mine's a 2013), the dealer neglected to tell me of this feature, and that it was engaged. When I stopped at a red light on what is the busiest street in West Palm Beach, the car died. After a moment of surprise (and much horn honking) I restarted the car and went back to the dealer. When I got my own car, 12 weeks later, I had it PERMANENTLY disabled. I don't like anyone messing with my "giddyup".
Didn't it restart itself as soon as you took your foot off the brake? I can understand if you didn't know about it a lot of confusion as to what was going on and a natural reaction to reach down and hit the starter button.

My biggest issue would be here in Houston heat even 30 seconds of engine shut down it can start to get warm in the car. We need A/C to pull the humidity out of the car.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo
I have been driving mine with the Stop/Start enabled for a little over 2 months now. The engine has never died, though it certainly feels that way when it stops. I was actually surprised by how quickly it restarts as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal. Basically, by the time my foot moves from the brake to the accelerator, it is as if the engine had never stopped.

Last edited by fkaufman; 12-05-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Didn't it restart itself as soon as you took your foot off the brake? I can understand if you didn't know about it a lot of confusion as to what was going on and a natural reaction to reach down and hit the starter button.

My biggest issue would be here in Houston heat even 30 seconds of engine shut down it can start to get warm in the car. We need A/C to pull the humidity out of the car.
The system is smart enough that it will either not shut down at all or will restart without moving off the brake if it determines the cabin environment will be compromised (either from a heat, humidity or cooling).
Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, it didn't; it was as dead as dead could be - very disconcerting. Besides, anyone actually know the fuel savings in day to day local driving?