A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Where do you put your cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you put your cell phone?

Awaiting delivery of my 2016 A7. During the test drives I noticed there is not a great spot to put a cell phone. Did I miss something?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerrymcd
Awaiting delivery of my 2016 A7. During the test drives I noticed there is not a great spot to put a cell phone. Did I miss something?
Why do you need access to the phone once it is connected via bluetooth? It should automatically connect when you get in the vehicle.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always take my phone out of my pocket when I drive. I tried the bin in front of the shifter, but I am quite picky and don't like having it open when I drive, so I've gone to just laying the phone in the passenger seat now. If someone is with me I typically do put it in that bin though. I also keep my sunglasses in that bin because the sunglass holder over head sucks.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes Bluetooth is great but ... I must admit that I have a bad habit of picking up the phone from time to time to check for new Texts and/or emails. Just at red lights of course. In my current car the phone fits nicely beside the shifter where I can easily glance down at it.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWendel
Why do you need access to the phone once it is connected via bluetooth? It should automatically connect when you get in the vehicle.
Lol, agree!! It has always fascinated me seeing the number of people driving very high end cars which have Bluetooth, with their phone screwed into their ear. I just don't understand that...now the technology has bled into cars costing much less, but people still do it. One salesman told me that half the time, people are simply lazy and don't know how to set it up, so they do it the old way.

Personally, I wish phones would deactivate when the cars start moving - driving would be a hell of a lot safer, but of course "rights would be violated" if that happened. Lol
Z
Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually put it in the cup holder.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Armrest compartment - nice and soft in there.
Or passenger seat!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes Bluetooth is great but ... I must admit that I have a bad habit of picking up the phone from time to time to check for new Texts and/or emails. Just at red lights of course. In my current car the phone fits nicely beside the shifter where I can easily glance down at it.
If setup properly, you will get both text and email notifications on the MMI display. You will then have the option of having the MMI read them to you.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

It puzzles me that Audi thought of this in the current 4 and 5, but not on any other car. On the 4 and 5 there is a nice slot next to the cup holders that perfectly holds my wallet and cell phone tucked in back to back like a sandwich. It holds in there securely, so I can go canyon carving without the phone sliding all over the place. Everywhere else I end up putting it in the cup holder, but it just slides around in corners. Inside the armrest is the same problem. It just slides around. Audi used to offer cradles, but they were never offered for the latest phones, so they stopped altogether. In Europe there is a phone tray for inside the armrest that also connects the phone to the external antenna through wireless coupling, but the phone still slides around. I guess Audi assumes you'll leave the phone in your pocket or bag.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
If setup properly, you will get both text and email notifications on the MMI display. You will then have the option of having the MMI read them to you.
Really? That would be great. Is that available in Canada or is that one of those US-only features. (we apparently don't get the Google maps and street view in the Nav as our friends to the south do).

Quick Reply: Where do you put your cell phone?