A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impossible?

To sell one of these or what? Im sure it depends on the area you live in but damn, this is the downfall of owning an expensive car I guess. Impulse(mid life crisis) buys usually come with consequences, but its hard stomaching losing out on 20k for only putting 4k miles on it. And it being in excellent condition(dealer saying theyd do nothing do it).

Not trying to push a sale here..ive been all over..hopes of that on here are slim, just curious if any of you have been successful in selling such an expensive car. Mine is 2012 and I paid 72k out the door(packages leading to that price...yes i know...no need to say anything lol). And bluebook has it down to like 52-54k i believe. Barely drove the thing..parked in garage , covered most of the time. Had fun at first until serious injury leading to no driving. Now this thing is going to waste. And the longer i wait the more id lose. Had it listed at 61k. Then all the way down to 58k. Couldnt stomach any lower. Its too new and unused for me to accept that big of a loss(i understand loses value each year).

Anyways just looking for advice. Not desperate for money. But for sure wont be driving it anytime soon. So been wanting to sell and then when im ready to get back out there, buy a newer one(S line or something). Who would take that big of a hit without really driving it much? Would you just keep until ready to drive? Or are you like me and like new? Meaning by the time i might be able to get on the road again , we could be looking at a newer model out there
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know the biggest thing is price. Is the answer as simple as I'd have to go down to like 54-55k to get rid of it?

Problem is its hard to find dealerships willing to even give you that type of price. I realize I have to make a decision soon, since it will just go down further in price in the fall. Really wish I could just enjoy it, but it is what it is. Ridiculous it still has the new car smell after 3 years( even with the chamber like door seals).

Let me get some advice. Pretty sure what it will entail , but let me hear it anyways. Might be that one suggestion out of the standard 20 that opens a few deadlocked brain cells
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately you're running into the biggest downside to buying a new Audi. Or buying almost any new luxury brand, for that matter. I'd recommend getting a quote from a Carmax. That will give you a ballpark idea of the actual "street price" that dealers will consider paying. When I traded in my last car, my Carmax quote was the same as I received from most dealers, and only $2k less than the best trade in offer I received. Keep in mind, too, that if you trade it in against a new car, your state may allow you to only pay taxes on the difference, which could save you a lot of money if you're looking to buy something new. So think of the car's value as sale price + taxes saved if you're looking to trade in.

I don't have much experience selling privately. I imagine you might have a long shot chance of making a sale well over bluebook IF you have a highly unusual color combination. You might find a motivated buyer willing to pay a premium for it because they can't find it anywhere else. But that will require patience. It could take a while for that right buyer to come along. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

You have a car that's now three model years old. The biggest depreciation hit occurs in the first few years. Asking for more than book price or what other comparables are selling for will not result in a sale as you've already discovered. You either take a larger hit than desired or you keep the car. Really no other options and only you can decide which is best.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

^^^ yeah figured as much. Prob will just take that hit then. Since I'd want a brand new one in a few years, not drive around a 2012. That's been my biggest issue with this.

Pratfall, I'll check it out. By the way, I took it into the audi dealer I got it from, last year to get it appraised. They were honest saying they'd have to do nothing to it to resell( obviously couldn't lie considering I had 2k miles and I knew for a fact it was in perfect condition ). They offered me a 50k check to take it that day....and this was last year. Crazy. Of course I know the value these cars lose , but couldn't help it at the time considering how rare the A7's were..ha.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=johnnyd112;24591291
By the way, I took it into the audi dealer I got it from, last year to get it appraised. They were honest saying they'd have to do nothing to it to resell( obviously couldn't lie considering I had 2k miles and I knew for a fact it was in perfect condition ). They offered me a 50k check to take it that day....and this was last year. Crazy. Of course I know the value these cars lose , but couldn't help it at the time considering how rare the A7's were..ha.[/QUOTE]

IMO you should haven taken that. It is another year older now as 2015 are out. Another option depending on where you live is a consignment auto dealer. There are a couple in my city that do luxury low mile autos. I still do not think you will get what you want though. It is not the mileage it is time that is not your friend.

I traded in a 2010 BMW that was stickered at $64,000 in 2010 last month and got $32,000 for it with 25,000 miles on it. They listed it at $35,990 and it was in great shape shape.

The idea of listing it and having who know who coming by to test drive it and the financing was not appealing at all.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

None of us can tell you what to do but if you like new, you're going to have to pay for new and the depreciation that goes with it either by trading it in or selling it outright privately or to CarMax. The car will depreciate ~%15 per year now, even if you don't drive it - it may be painful, but maybe bite the bullet and don't repeat again. Ever thought about a low mileage 2-3 year lease on your next car?