A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Audi and New D2 S8 Owner Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats one of the knock sensors, part number 054905377A. Very common across the VAG range so you should be able to find one easily enough. It is bolted to the block just behind the power steering pump.

I wouldn't recommend swapping the connector - the cable is shielded to prevent interference which will be very tricky to maintain with a different plug.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah. OK. Thanks for the info. I will research it a bit more before I cowboy the connector.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8LEE
you think this is G12?
That looks like G-12 to me. It should be pinkish in color.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

The ABS module that gets repaired is under the LF knee panel in the LHD car. The "module" on the ABS pump is just a solenoid control unit and not possessing a lot of smarts. It can be replaced but the power wires need to be cut and connectorized or properly spliced. The power wires are pretty hefty so care should be taken. I replaced mine while chasing (my tail and) an ABS nag and did so int he car, it's possible but tedious and if you have a solenoid problem I am not sure it's worth the bother not to replace the whole pump/module assembly which is a $50 used part. It's not common that this solenoid array needs to be repaired or replaced. It is very cheap if purchased along with a used ABS pump and there are some non D2 sources. I suppose the electromagnetic coil side could have a coil burn out or be damaged if the assembly is removed carelessly.

The ABS module in the dash is cheap used as it rarely fails. I think in a D2 S8 it is known as an ESP module. It needs to be coded to the car with VCDS, but that's not too hard.

There is also an ESP pump that lives under the ABS pump and a pressure transducer that screw into the whole mess which can cause problems.

With VCDS I'd have no fear of replacing the ABS pump and solenoid array as I think getting a good pedal is not hard if you use VCDS and a pressure bleeder and persist. Al lot of people also skip bleeding both halves of Brembo (or other) opposed piston calipers also, I do not think this should be skipped.

-Joel.

Originally Posted by S8LEE
Thanks Joel

I think I will just send out the ABS module and have it repaired. That way I dont have to disconnect all the lines - If i can separate the module from the pump without taking the whole thing out of the car. IS that possible?
Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
The ABS module that gets repaired is under the LF knee panel in the LHD car. The "module" on the ABS pump is just a solenoid control unit and not possessing a lot of smarts. It can be replaced but the power wires need to be cut and connectorized or properly spliced. The power wires are pretty hefty so care should be taken. I replaced mine while chasing (my tail and) an ABS nag and did so int he car, it's possible but tedious and if you have a solenoid problem I am not sure it's worth the bother not to replace the whole pump/module assembly which is a $50 used part. It's not common that this solenoid array needs to be repaired or replaced. It is very cheap if purchased along with a used ABS pump and there are some non D2 sources. I suppose the electromagnetic coil side could have a coil burn out or be damaged if the assembly is removed carelessly.

The ABS module in the dash is cheap used as it rarely fails. I think in a D2 S8 it is known as an ESP module. It needs to be coded to the car with VCDS, but that's not too hard.

There is also an ESP pump that lives under the ABS pump and a pressure transducer that screw into the whole mess which can cause problems.

With VCDS I'd have no fear of replacing the ABS pump and solenoid array as I think getting a good pedal is not hard if you use VCDS and a pressure bleeder and persist. Al lot of people also skip bleeding both halves of Brembo (or other) opposed piston calipers also, I do not think this should be skipped.

-Joel.
Joel-
I have decided to pull the entire ABS pump/solenoid module assembly out and send it to the UK for repair. I will plug all the lines as I pull them off one at a time.. Looks like I will just spring for VCDS and bleed the system until I get a good pedal because I hate the pedal the way it is now- it is unacceptable.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The pump is under $100 used off ebay, Allroad and Passat 4motion are the same.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

The pump is under $100 used off ebay, Allroad and Passat 4motion are the same.
yes but an unknown used part with likely higher miles than my original will also eventually fail.
After reading through the last few posts it might just be easier to buy a used one from ebay and send that one to the UK to get refurbished. That way I can drive the car until I get the pump back.. I emailed them to see what the price of a reman pump is outright with/without a core charge. We shall see and I will update with my findings. Thanks y'all
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's not a part with a high failure rate IMO, I'd be more concerned about corrosion from bad brake fluid than electrical problems. Not sure what your rebuilder is addressing.

There are similar modules (not for the D2) which do have a lot of problems and even a recall I think, I would not let those affect how you handle your current issue.

Have you seen the vids on the ABS pump swap? I'd probably do at least two used ones before dealing with an overseas rebuild. It's pretty straightforward.

-Joel.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's not a part with a high failure rate IMO,
It's not? I thought they were notorious for this issue...
Anyway I do agree about the corrosion issue and an unknown ebay one would be questionable in that regard...
quote off the website:
"Common Faults:
This ABS / pump & valve body is a very common problem for the Audi S4 the common faults include: ABS Light on, fault codes for pump motor or inlet / outlet valves."

I have the return flow pump error (301)

There's not much to rebuild except the electrical components- pump motor and solenoids...its not like they can take apart the aluminum block or anything like that. I am waiting for their response and will go from there.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe the B5 Passat pump assembly is the same as the S4 and more of a problem child. The D2 and some C5 (A6 and Allroad) are the same and AFAIK not suffering from the wire bond problem. I do not recall much mention of this part being a problem in the D2 forums in the last 10-12 years.

Quick Reply: 1st Audi and New D2 S8 Owner Needs Advice