A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 S8 265kW starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ive attached a pressure gauge to the fuel line next to the pressure regulator. Cranked it and it showed 45PSI of pressure. Then I took out one coil pack and a spark plug and cranked it again, sparks were flying. No problem there....

Fuel pump working, pressure in fuel line, sparks OK, coil packs working....AND STILL NO START!!!

Please help....any ideas?
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by barackuda
I am puzzled.... I disconnected the fuel hose close to the fuel rail (black arrow on picture) to see if I get fuel when I crank it...
And the sucker soacked a rag completely within 3 seconds of cranking
I assume my fuel pump is OK then????

Must be the CRANK POSITION SENSOR then.Nothing else comes to my mind...

Your thoughts on this?

Danny
The fuel pump will run for about 2 seconds (and JUST on the first attempt...needs to reset, key out, door locked or time period) when you turn on the key WITHOUT cranking.

Once you start cranking, the fuel pump will continue to run JUST while engine is turning (cranking or idling), IF the crank sensor is good...A bad crank sensor will not allow the ECM to ground the fuel pump relay, therefore no fuel pump during cranking (except the "primer" 2 seconds I mentioned) if crank sensor is bad.

You COULD have had enough pressure, just from the primer, to soak the rag(?)...you need to put a volt meter on the pump leads while cranking...should get at least 10-11volts all during cranking, if crank sensor is good.

If you have spark and full fuel pressure at the right times (and no other major problems, like HUGE timing jump), I'd be looking to see if injectors are opening (getting signal from the ECM). Check for water in E-box (ECM under hood) or corroded contacts from previous moisture (rain drain clog/overflow).

Just a couple of guess to look into.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hope to have it sorted out...
Took the coils out and checked them...ok
Took the fuel rail out and.... One of the injectors had the O-ring completely squashed, torn and eroded. Also signs of silicon used on the seal.
Must have been the previous guy trying to fix it.
Ordered a new O-ring and what you know....starts like a dream. Faster then before.

Forgot to mention that she started a week ago, but with a massive fuel leak (about a liter in half a minute until I opened the hood) from that said injector.

Gona take her to test drive tomorrow and see.

Danny