A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 D2 S8

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 D2 S8

Hi all, I've been away from the audi community for quite some time (had a B5 S4 and a C5 allroad). Anyways currently my daily is a 996 C2 with factory Aero and a lot of suspension work done...needless to say I'm thinking of a winter car as I"m just under 3 in of ground clearance in the front and rwd.

I've made an offer with a semi-local dealer (100 miles away) site unseen, they are asking 8995 and I started my offer at 5,200 otd. We ended up at $6,200 the s8 has 175,xxx miles and looks to be well maintained based on autocheck.

My question is, what should I keep an eye out for before singing the purchase agreement Sat and taking it home.

I have searched, most audi forums (used to be very active on audizine) do not have an active A8/S8 sub-forum. This seems to be the best I've found. Most of the issues are from newer owners (back in 04'-05') and then just some intro threads. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned similar era Audi's before, you're probably aware of the inherent front control arm wear issues. The D2 is no different in this regard. So watch out for suspension rattles, poor handling and wheel drag during full-lock turning.

Gearbox.
The 5 speed ZF in these has a reputation for failing anywhere from 100-180,000 miles. Look for receipts or logbook entry indicating its had a rebuild. The milage wouldn't be such an issue if the gearbox didn't cost $000's for a rebuild.

The engines are generally robust, but do suffer from oil leaks around the valve covers. The oil cooler on the side of the engine is also a regular leak point due to the partial failure of a plastic oil pipe. Due to difficult access, the repair is expensive from a labour perspective, so ensure you use an aluminium replacement pipe available on the aftermarket.
The lower sump seal is also below the oil level when full and mine is currently leaking there (will fix next service) which causes the oil to consistently sit down near min on the dipstick.
Also look for rattles at startup from around the cams as the cam tensioners seem to break adjustment pins and require pressurising each start. A small lifter type noise that goes away in a couple of secs is nothing to necessarily worry about, but if it has a louder rattle that takes longer to go away or requires some revs, it could lead to more expensive repairs.
I chased coolant leaks on mine for the first 6 months of ownership (mine has 120,000 miles right now). Ended up with all new hoses, a new radiator, and finally had to source new bleeder pipes which had cracked (took a while to find that leak). A real PITA, though its all good now!

The fuel pump...
Boy oh boy this was a fun job! It's quite common for the fuel pump to go on these around 150,000 miles-ish. The assembly consists of the fuel pump itself, plus a couple of hoses and wires and a large plastic housing which mounts into another housing inside the tank and also has the fuel level sender mounted to it. Audi will only sell you a whole assembly for $1000! Fortunately you can buy the pump itself from after market suppliers for $250odd. No amount of reading about this assembly will give you the knowledge you need to replace it, but it is very DIYable if you have a bit of patience. PM me if ever you need to do it...

Finally onto electrics. On this car the electrics are actually pretty good, but there are a couple of things that fail on most cars. Look out for clicking noises behind the centre dash. This will be the stepper motors controlling the HVAC air direction flaps. There's three in total I think. FL A/S8's had a voltage increase on these motors which ends up causing a gear failure, evidenced by the click.
The rear seat lumbar and headrest adjusters often stop working when the wires controlling them go out of adjustment (or something like that - haven't fixed mine yet) - apparently not a difficult fix, gut a good negotiating tool!
Poor radio reception will be the diversity antenna switcher, located behind the rear seat backrest.

That's it for common issues I think. In good order these cars are fantastic - drive like a much smaller car, plenty of grunt. A bit rev happy at times, but then they are a sports model

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 11-25-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by williamr91

I have searched, most audi forums (used to be very active on audizine) do not have an active A8/S8 sub-forum. This seems to be the best I've found. Most of the issues are from newer owners (back in 04'-05') and then just some intro threads. Thanks in advance.
There's also the D2-specific forum at QuattroWorld: quattroworld.com Forums: D2 A8/S8 (1997 - 2003)