A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 S8 Just a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S8 Just a few questions

Hey new member here with just a few questions

I own a 2002 S8

Has anyone successfully disabled the drl on a D2? I've searched and can't seem to really find any info on Google or other forums. Btw it's originally a Canadian car

Next I seem to have some strange issues with the transmission. The best way I can describe it is that the car seems like its stuck in sport mode. It won't shift until about 3200-3500 rpm. This happens about 90% of the time. There are no hard shifts when this happens. If you use tiptronic everything is fine. Anyone else have this issue? Any advice?
Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When the engine is cold, it will tend to hold revs with the transmission before shifting (I think this is an emissions setting). This is normal behavior and the transmission settles at normal running temperature.
The transmission also tends to select lower gears on hills, which takes advantage of what Audi thinks is peaky engine behaviour (there's plenty of torque through the rev range so I don't know why they programmed it this way).
Being an '02, yours may have the sports and economy modes. Easy to tell at a glance - if your gear shifter gate is short and only has P, R, N, D, S, then your have sports mode (ie, pull the lever through to 'S').
If it has the longer gate and goes P, R, N, D, 4, 3, 2, (1?), then you have the earlier 'learning' type programming.

If you're interested, there are some blokes who have experimented with transmission settings via VCDS. You can select from standard A8 programming (earlier shifting perhaps) to 'tiptronic on demand' and if you have the right TCU you can select the 'sports/eco' programming.

DRL - I'm assuming this is Daytime Running Lights? If so I will assume that Canada has or had a requirement for permanent daytime lights in certain Province's??
Anyway - there should be settings in VCDS for it, as most countries don't have that requirement.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ill trade you headlights lol Mine do not have the DRL but I want them. It has all the plugs but the hole in the headlights where I think they go is filled in.

PS Im not even sure if its possible just to switch and Im half joking, just found it funny you want to turn them off and ive been looking to install them. My solution would be to just take out the bulbs but Im still in college and cheep like that.

Best of Luck and welcome

PSS what twentysevenlitres said about the shifting is consistant with my transmission as well. 210K and climbing fingers crossed