A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S8

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 355f1
Brilliant assessments, enough to run away from that car, I could not be happier.
I wouldn't necessarily go running straight away. It may still be worth a look, especially as it's a final edition car. It certainly looks nice in the photos - I quite like that red interior, something different from the normal conservative greys and blacks!
Just assess the service books and any receipts. Budget for work not done and make an offer accordingly...

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
The nav. on US D2s is in the instrument dash between the tachometer and speedometer and the nav. disc changer can be seen in the trunk shot.
Then I have to ask the question - how do you control it? The Symphony doesn't appear to have any nav contros.
The RNS-D module on my D2 also uses the DIS as a supplementary display.
IMO the DIS is nowhere near big enough to display full maps either.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres

Then I have to ask the question - how do you control it? The Symphony doesn't appear to have any nav contros.
The RNS-D module on my D2 also uses the DIS as a supplementary display.
IMO the DIS is nowhere near big enough to display full maps either.
Not sure about Symphony 2's in 2002-2003 models, but in the 2001 models (mine) the factory nav can NOT work without the Symphony 1 radio head...an integral part of the system, even though it has no nav controls or display of it's own. I assume the Symphony 2's and factory nav are still a necessary package deal(?)

True, a $100 Walmart nav unit is probably more useful than the old info and small display...But I still use mine, since it's all there and working...major Metro areas and highways are still mostly the same, even with year 2000 CD set......the alternate route, "off road" (pointing direction and mileage to destination) and GPS coordinates all work perfectly and still serve a purpose.

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 09-25-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I have received an angry letter from the salesman of the Audi, as a matter of fact he is one of the dealership's owner/partner, regarding my negative comments about his car. I am dumbfounded, my head shaking in disbelief.

Horacio,

You wouldn't agree that this car was serviced extensively and immaculately with the history you clearly examined on the carfax? I just received all the service documentation from Westmont to support the carfax history. How much more could you want! Are you kidding me, just because a trim piece was not on the car when we took initial photos!

Those pics were taken as I explained earlier to you, before the car was detailed. We have since replaced the grilles, I had one of them but put 2 new ones on, they fall off frequently, a very bad design!

I have all new photos of the car that I didn't upload yet as I have been very busy moving our shop to a brand new facility as you can tell by my lack of immediate response to your emails

I didn't know if the trans was serviced before or not so we went ahead and did it. My mechanic is a former Audi master tech and knows exactly what he is doing with these cars, In fact he worked on these S8's extensively when they were in for warranty work, he knows more than you or I about what to touch on the car and when. Why would you want a car that you were scared to change the trans fluid on? Bad start to a new relationship with your car, no?

Trans failure 100 to 180k range? seriously?, what a gamble, why would you even consider this car then?

Just because there is no service info on suspension, doesn't mean it wasn't done. I haven't even looked through the extensive records yet, frankly I don't have time to waste on it, I know the car drives awesome.

What are you going to get out an engine pic anyway, seriously! regardless, I have taken many for the new updated gallery.

I'm not in a rush to sell it, I've put several thousand miles on it and I know it is a fantastic car.

You are clearly trying to find any possible flaw in the car for what reason, I'm not sure. In any event, why are you wasting my time, this is a car that was over 90k new that I am asking a fraction of the price for now and that commands my price or more with the service history and condition it is in. You will be hard pressed to find a more well maintained example with absolutely no paint work! If you had any intention of buying this car and not wasting my valuable time, you would have made the decision already.

Good luck on your search, you will find it very difficult to find another one of this caliber, but I don't think you are really interested in that,

Sincerely,

Massimo
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
2001 models (mine) the factory nav can NOT work without the Symphony 1 radio head...an integral part of the system, even though it has no nav controls or display of it's own.
So the Nav works completely on the DIS using the Symphony head unit?
I'm curious:
How do you control it? The Menu button?
Also, does it show a whole map on the DIS? (photo?)
The DIS on mine (in conjunction with the RNS-D unit) only gives direction indications... All mapping is done on the screen of the RNS-D.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
So the Nav works completely on the DIS using the Symphony head unit?
I'm curious:
How do you control it? The Menu button?
Also, does it show a whole map on the DIS? (photo?)
The DIS on mine (in conjunction with the RNS-D unit) only gives direction indications... All mapping is done on the screen of the RNS-D.
No full mapping at at...just road drawing directions to the next turn, ETA, mileage countdown, etc....and the lady's voice (4 languages to choose from) through the extra driver's speaker.

....All controlled through nav controls mixed with the menu switch (no photo handy) >> Nav switch and alternated route (traffic jam) switches added to normal menu controls, in front of the ONLY front cup holder.

Destination entered with text, mostly with ****...NOT convenient to set.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 355f1
Well, I have received an angry letter from the salesman of the Audi, as a matter of fact he is one of the dealership's owner/partner, regarding my negative comments about his car. I am dumbfounded, my head shaking in disbelief.

Horacio,

You wouldn't agree that this car was serviced extensively and immaculately with the history you clearly examined on the carfax? I just received all the service documentation from Westmont to support the carfax history. How much more could you want! Are you kidding me, just because a trim piece was not on the car when we took initial photos!

Those pics were taken as I explained earlier to you, before the car was detailed. We have since replaced the grilles, I had one of them but put 2 new ones on, they fall off frequently, a very bad design!

I have all new photos of the car that I didn't upload yet as I have been very busy moving our shop to a brand new facility as you can tell by my lack of immediate response to your emails

I didn't know if the trans was serviced before or not so we went ahead and did it. My mechanic is a former Audi master tech and knows exactly what he is doing with these cars, In fact he worked on these S8's extensively when they were in for warranty work, he knows more than you or I about what to touch on the car and when. Why would you want a car that you were scared to change the trans fluid on? Bad start to a new relationship with your car, no?

Trans failure 100 to 180k range? seriously?, what a gamble, why would you even consider this car then?

Just because there is no service info on suspension, doesn't mean it wasn't done. I haven't even looked through the extensive records yet, frankly I don't have time to waste on it, I know the car drives awesome.

What are you going to get out an engine pic anyway, seriously! regardless, I have taken many for the new updated gallery.

I'm not in a rush to sell it, I've put several thousand miles on it and I know it is a fantastic car.

You are clearly trying to find any possible flaw in the car for what reason, I'm not sure. In any event, why are you wasting my time, this is a car that was over 90k new that I am asking a fraction of the price for now and that commands my price or more with the service history and condition it is in. You will be hard pressed to find a more well maintained example with absolutely no paint work! If you had any intention of buying this car and not wasting my valuable time, you would have made the decision already.

Good luck on your search, you will find it very difficult to find another one of this caliber, but I don't think you are really interested in that,

Sincerely,

Massimo
Wow...salesman of the year candidate.

I wouldn't do business with that squid if he was selling hundred dollar bills for $5 each..........what a jerk...bet his mechanic's name is "Skippy".
Old 09-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have kinda been following the market on these and any S8 with over 100k miles is a tough sale at north of 10k.