A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 cuts off while driving help please

Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 cuts off while driving help please

Hello everyone i am a new member and I am having a problem with my 2000 Audi A8L. First of all car shut down on me while driving on through way. Got towed to garage. Here is a list of parts I've changed so far. New fuel pump from Shokan audi parts. Crank position sensor, all coil packs, maf air sensor, temp. sensor, spark plugs fuel pump relay. Car does start and drives fine but shuts down after driving for an hour. Start up after 5-10 minutes. I'm going crazy please if anyone can help.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 160 Holland Ave.
Hello everyone i am a new member and I am having a problem with my 2000 Audi A8L. First of all car shut down on me while driving on through way. Got towed to garage. Here is a list of parts I've changed so far. New fuel pump from Shokan audi parts. Crank position sensor, all coil packs, maf air sensor, temp. sensor, spark plugs fuel pump relay. Car does start and drives fine but shuts down after driving for an hour. Start up after 5-10 minutes. I'm going crazy please if anyone can help.
I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question:

"New fuel pump from Shokan audi parts." ?????????????????

Shokan sells used parts stripped from wrecked or disabled cars...and they are the biggest rip-offs in the business...I've found new OEM parts cheaper than they sell used parts of questionable mileage.

Have you run VagCom for codes...NOT a parts store code-scan (very limited info), but a full scan?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes silverd2 the fuel pump is a brand new fuel pump VDO 4D0-906-091 C/82 MADE IN GERMANY from shokan auto. I did take it out and sent it back to them last week. Ive got it back and installed it and the car still cuts off after driving it for an hour. Vag com read misfire bank 1,3,6 maf sensor to high and Air intake temp to low so i changed all the coil packs and maf sensor and still does the same. Do you think it's the ECU? it's been 5 months since i got this car running. Now that i have running it cuts off on me randomly.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes silverd2 the fuel pump is a brand new fuel pump VDO 4D0-906-091 C/82 MADE IN GERMANY from shokan auto. I did take it out and sent it back to them last week. Ive got it back and installed it and the car still cuts off after driving it for an hour. Vag com read misfire bank 1,3,6 maf sensor to high and Air intake temp to low so i changed all the coil packs and maf sensor and still does the same. Do you think it's the ECU? it's been 5 months since i got this car running. Now that i have running it cuts off on me randomly.
Misfires on "cylinders" 1,3 & 6 ?

Do you still get an MAF code?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are the codes that came up before i installed coil packs and maf air sensor.

P-0301 bank 1
P-0303 bank 3
P-0306 bank 7
EGR n/a
P-0455
P-0102 mass air- air to low
P0113 intake temp sensor to high
P0300 B
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It starts right up its driving fine. I did the timing kit with pullys and water pump thermostat change last year in November. The car just randomly cut off on me in April of this year outta no where. I don't now im going crazy.

You think my fuel pump keeps cutting off? Maybe fuel regulator?
Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

maybe knock sensor? is there one on the d2?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do all the electronics still work when it shuts off? Is the check engine light on while it's shut off/refusing to start?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes all electronics still work. Car drives normal everything is working normal. No engine light on. If your talking about when the key is on position engine light is on like normal but it will start up after cooling down 5 to 10 min. Today it cut off on while driving around in my neighborhood, i popped the hood and unplugged what i think was the knock sensor (grey plug) plugged back in and it started. ???? i have no idea what that is ?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes all electronics still work. Car drives normal everything is working normal. No engine light on. If your talking about when the key is on position engine light is on like normal but it will start up after cooling down 5 to 10 min. Today it cut off on while driving around in my neighborhood, i popped the hood and unplugged what i think was the knock sensor (grey plug) plugged back in and it started. ???? i have no idea what that is ?
Knock sensors gone bad should lead to either very low power (over retarded)...or if unplugged (or totally failed) should lead to over-advanced ignition, which would cause pinging while driving.

Kinda doubt this is where to look for your problem.

There are 2 knock sensors...one for each bank...green plugs on top of engine (yellow arrows) >>>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8 cuts off while driving help please