A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L in the rain. At stoplight, and seemed to lose power.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L in the rain. At stoplight, and seemed to lose power.

Last Friday it rained heavily out here in SLC, I went out for a ride and little did I know,I would be stranded. I was at a stoplight, when I noticed that the car seemed to lose its power. The car kept moving for about at a mile at a low speed, and finally came to a stop. I left the car, walked to my house and tried to jump it, but it didn't work. I replaced the battery the next morning, but that one was damaged, so I had to get a different one. I took it to a local Pep Boys that I usually get my work done at, but they couldn't figure anything out. They said it's probably the fuel pump. I don't think it is because the gauge works.
I am guessing it's the starter because dash lights turn on, and the engine wants to turn.
Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciated any help.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TE2424
Last Friday it rained heavily out here in SLC, I went out for a ride and little did I know,I would be stranded. I was at a stoplight, when I noticed that the car seemed to lose its power. The car kept moving for about at a mile at a low speed, and finally came to a stop. I left the car, walked to my house and tried to jump it, but it didn't work. I replaced the battery the next morning, but that one was damaged, so I had to get a different one. I took it to a local Pep Boys that I usually get my work done at, but they couldn't figure anything out. They said it's probably the fuel pump. I don't think it is because the gauge works.
I am guessing it's the starter because dash lights turn on, and the engine wants to turn.
Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciated any help.
1st, you need a Vagcom scan...if nothing comes up, it could be the fuel pump, a common failure at high miles in these cars...bad pump generates no code of it's own.

The gauge working has nothing to do with whether or not the pump has failed...the sensor (one of 2 in the tank) merely shares the same big plastic "module" with the pump...the 2 are not related electrically or mechanically.

Rain related(?): The rain drain in the fresh air plenums are prone to clogging and possibly flooding the E-box (under the hood) that houses the ECM/TCM.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! I did notice a little water under the hood by the passengers side. It was by the little covered area. I'll probably end up taking it to a small Audi/VW shop around here. Any chance you know how much it is to replace the ECM?
Old 05-03-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TE2424
Thanks! I did notice a little water under the hood by the passengers side. It was by the little covered area. I'll probably end up taking it to a small Audi/VW shop around here. Any chance you know how much it is to replace the ECM?
Expensive, but don't assume that's the problem yet. Anyone can take the cover off the E box to check for water intrusion. The water you see on top of the strut tower is not the problem...there are little drains on each side for this area...the big problem is the main drain under the fresh air intake, the one that can flood the E box or even leak into the passenger compartment through the AC evap housing (it's drain clog too) >>>

audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains

Look under the passengers footboard carpet. Clogged AC drains can dump water into the central electric panel under the footboard.

If the mechanic you choose does not have VagCom, they are NOT qualified or equipped to analyze problems with your car. Most members here that do their own tooling have this...free download to read fault codes in any module (not just a code reader) and cheap eBay OBD cable >>>

Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download

OBD2 usb | eBay
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by silverd2
Expensive, but don't assume that's the problem yet. Anyone can take the cover off the E box to check for water intrusion. The water you see on top of the strut tower is not the problem...there are little drains on each side for this area...the big problem is the main drain under the fresh air intake, the one that can flood the E box or even leak into the passenger compartment through the AC evap housing (it's drain clog too) >>>

audipages Unclogging the A8 Evaporator Drains

Look under the passengers footboard carpet. Clogged AC drains can dump water into the central electric panel under the footboard.

If the mechanic you choose does not have VagCom, they are NOT qualified or equipped to analyze problems with your car. Most members here that do their own tooling have this...free download to read fault codes in any module (not just a code reader) and cheap eBay OBD cable >>>

Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download

OBD2 usb | eBay
I checked for water ingression and there was none! I will download the VagCom software as soon as I fix my computer as well. The mechanics do use it, so I should be clear. I have talked to a couple of different Audi/VW owners, and they have said they do a good job. Thanks for you help.