A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Not blowing hard enough?? 2001 S8

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Not blowing hard enough?? 2001 S8

I seem to have cold air (used a temp gauge), but the "roar" and typical cooling is weak....just not cooling the cabin and the auto works hard all the time but not cycling down to a reasonable temp. after reasonable time operating.

Could it be my cabin (polen?) filters are filthy, which they are (the two attached to the hood), and is there another 3r filter that may restrict the air flow?

Thanks for comments from this novice DIYer!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Could be a couple of things. See list (simplest to hardest) below and work your way down.
  • Make sure all vents are open
  • Check cabin filters (As you stated)
  • AC system needs to be re-charged (I had this issue. Cold air but system could not keep up on an 80 degree or higher day. Re-charged the system and all is good.)
  • Blower motor might be on its way out (Any squealing sound or change of speed)
  • Individual vent flaps not working correctly (Closed when should be open or vice-versa. Do you hear any clicking/knocking sound coming from vents?)

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

System recharged and blowing cold - no sound from vents....how can I find out it flaps are open or closed correctly?
No squealing sound with blower motor?
Thanks for responding
Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Running Ross Tech/VAG and seeing if there are any shorts in the system.

Ross-Tech: VCDS

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
I seem to have cold air (used a temp gauge), but the "roar" and typical cooling is weak....just not cooling the cabin and the auto works hard all the time but not cycling down to a reasonable temp. after reasonable time operating.

Could it be my cabin (polen?) filters are filthy, which they are (the two attached to the hood), and is there another 3r filter that may restrict the air flow?

Thanks for comments from this novice DIYer!
Have you recently changed your blower motor?
I just bought 2 separate ones from the dealer a few months apart and both had the terminals in reverse orientation.
Result was a lot of blower noise and minimal flow.

I decided rather than return the unit or cut the wiring to reverse the polarity to the correct orientation to cut out the "key" in the connector with small cutters so I could reverse the polarity back to the correct orientation.

Final result= lots of flow

quattroworld.com Forums: change blower motor with new one today.. results minimal air flow... WTF?!

-Richard

Last edited by audinutt; 08-29-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing out the blower motor isn't a "tough" job, but requires a lot of patience. You'll need a REAL stubby screwdriver to get into the back screws. I saw a Youtube video that helped explain how the motor comes out. One adder...get a shop vac into the firewall housing to slurp up all the debris that is likely in there. The benefit of doing it yourself is that you can attend to the little adders too! Best of luck getting your airflow back.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had my S8 AC serviced this summer because I felt it wasn't cold enough.
I was disappointed when I got it back so I got out my different temperature gauges and found that the air is nearly freezing cold (got temps in the 40's!)
The only thing I figured it could be was the rate of air flow but I couldn't imagine a fan failing by slowing down without some other sign like a bearing noise or some other sound or smell.

Is this a common D2 A8/S8 issue?
What is the specific failure?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe he came to the conclusion that the vent flaps were the issue. (my fifth bullet)
Old 09-05-2016, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by omarcarbomb
I had my S8 AC serviced this summer because I felt it wasn't cold enough.
I was disappointed when I got it back so I got out my different temperature gauges and found that the air is nearly freezing cold (got temps in the 40's!)
The only thing I figured it could be was the rate of air flow but I couldn't imagine a fan failing by slowing down without some other sign like a bearing noise or some other sound or smell.

Is this a common D2 A8/S8 issue?
What is the specific failure?
On my cars, they were still blowing cold, it's bosch pinned the fans to be reverse.. so low flow.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did anyone hear this shhhhhhh from the engine bay when you shut off the car.It is cooling pretty good but this sounds like a leak from ac pipes?Still blowing cold,2nd summer since i got it without recharge but this shhhh sound is telling me something is wrong.

Quick Reply: AC Not blowing hard enough?? 2001 S8