A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal sinks to the floor, ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fn_42
Here's a pic of the shoe, it does look a little worn I can't imagine that's enough to throw a code though?

https://i.imgur.com/BMNmwl5.jpg

The shoe (or lack of) is not what really throws the code. The inability of the adjuster, whether due to shoe missing (shorter throw) or internal wear of adjuster (always happens eventually) not allowing enough pressure to move fully from advanced to retarded timing position.

ALL the tension on the chain is placed there mechanically by an internal spring in the adjuster (not ever the problem), NOT oil pressure. Oil pressure simple moves the piston with entire tensioned loop of chain up and down as needed to change intake cam timing.

Thanks to no internal seals (except in center, between advance & retard chambers) , just an originally precise fit between soft metal & hard metal (wears quickly with time) these adjusters are doomed to irreparably fail...not enough oil pressure can be transmitted, thanks to leaking past pressure chambers, to push the chain loop into fully advanced position.

...therefore P0022 = over-retarded (didn't advance enough) on bank #2 driver's side.

Here's why >>>
quattroworld.com Forums: Failed 40V cam adjuster dissected...disappointingly non-rebuildable >>>
Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
The shoe (or lack of) is not what really throws the code. The inability of the adjuster, whether due to shoe missing (shorter throw) or internal wear of adjuster (always happens eventually) not allowing enough pressure to move fully from advanced to retarded timing position.

ALL the tension on the chain is placed there mechanically by an internal spring in the adjuster (not ever the problem), NOT oil pressure. Oil pressure simple moves the piston with entire tensioned loop of chain up and down as needed to change intake cam timing.

Thanks to no internal seals (except in center, between advance & retard chambers) , just an originally precise fit between soft metal & hard metal (wears quickly with time) these adjusters are doomed to irreparably fail...not enough oil pressure can be transmitted, thanks to leaking past pressure chambers, to push the chain loop into fully advanced position.

...therefore P0022 = over-retarded (didn't advance enough) on bank #2 driver's side.

Here's why >>>
quattroworld.com Forums: Failed 40V cam adjuster dissected...disappointingly non-rebuildable >>>
Thanks, I was hoping it wasn't that (iirc the price for one was ~ $700) but google seems to confirm that it's inevitable. My engine has 158k on it so it's definitely getting up there

I'll do an oil + filter change and take it out for a drive... maybe the oil in it is too light. I already have a pile of m1 0w-40 laying around lol