A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use a hand.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I could use a hand.

This is my first post in this forum, so please be kind if I am not in the right place.
I know when it’s time to swallow my pride and ask for help. My 2001 A8L has 51K on the clock, and I want to replace the timing belt. I know some will say that it is not necessary, but I love this car and for my own piece of mind I want to do it. Here is where I am at, I am an electrician not a mechanic but I know how to turn a wrench. I understand allot about this 4.2 I have read every forum and have always done the maintenance on my own cars. I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in getting together and doing this maintenance with me. You will not be doing it for me I just want someone there who knows how to do it and has done it before. I will have a bay at a clean garage with a lift and any tool needed to complete the job including the kit from Blauparts. Please let me know if you are interested, I am in the Boston area.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use a hand.

Hi,
I'm in the UK so sadly I can't pop over and help. I've not done a timing belt myself though so I wouldn't be much help....I could keep making cups of tea for us. I have a '98 A8 with loads and loads and loads of miles on it, the cam belt gets changed at 80,000 mile intervals. So you don't need to worry for another 30,000ish miles. When you do get the belt changed, replace the water pump too they're are the cheapest component on the car, not counting the ash trays. The cam belt kit (all the bits are purchased as one part number) doesn't include the anti vibration damper, most garages don't replace it at every timing belt change, they change it for every two cam belts. For piece of mind you may want to change this. I hope this helps. Oh yeah there is a tutorial posted on youtube by a guy doing this job.

Regards
Mark
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jonah290
Hi,
I'm in the UK so sadly I can't pop over and help. I've not done a timing belt myself though so I wouldn't be much help....I could keep making cups of tea for us. I have a '98 A8 with loads and loads and loads of miles on it, the cam belt gets changed at 80,000 mile intervals. So you don't need to worry for another 30,000ish miles. When you do get the belt changed, replace the water pump too they're are the cheapest component on the car, not counting the ash trays. The cam belt kit (all the bits are purchased as one part number) doesn't include the anti vibration damper, most garages don't replace it at every timing belt change, they change it for every two cam belts. For piece of mind you may want to change this. I hope this helps. Oh yeah there is a tutorial posted on youtube by a guy doing this job.

Regards
Mark
Mark,
I may be wrong, but think the only complete tutorial on youtube is by my friend Louis (Ltooz), but it is for a 32V prefacelift, which is very different than the procedure on the facelift 40V motor...Audi changed a lot of things on the newer 4.2L...actually a little easier.
"ImTheDevil" over on Audiforums is supposed to put out a complete turorial on a recent 40V timing belt job with photos, but don't see that he has posted that yet(?).
The following vid is just prep work on 40V, but a very good example of the ease of doing the job with the front end in place...the way I do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MniODl1kLYA

Cheers,
Sam