A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in to my S8 - help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have mentioned, I would definitely not recommend breaking a window. Last summer, my gas powered string trimmer (weed eater) slung a rock which promptly broke the rear window in my A8. Thankfully I do have full glass coverage.

Problem is that there was not a single glass replacement in the US. It had to be shipped air-freight from Germany. Glad I wasn't the one who had to pay for that bill!

Also it took the "expert" glass shop nearly an entire afternoon to figure out how to disassemble the door. I have since found broken clips, weather stripping not re-attached properly, etc. Oh and despite their "best" efforts, they could not get all the glass out of the bottom of the door. Over a year later, I still find small shards of glass next to my car after opening/closing the door.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi guys.
Glad to report that car was successfully entered without breaking anything!
Locksmith attempted to used a fancy adjustable key to pick the lock, failed and ended up using the small airbag method to push the top rear corner of the drivers door out enough to get long hook through to pull the drivers interior door handle to pop the lock.

Battery was dead as I suspected, so we used a jump battery to supply power for transponder programming on the spare keys I had locked inside.
K-line bus proved too slow for the locksmiths equipment, so he pulled the dash and did the programming of the keys directly onto the immobiliser E-PROM.
Very interesting to watch!

Took about 4 hours in total (over an hour wasted on K-line through the OBD port before giving up), but I know my dash PIN now.
Cheap at au$450 (break in and 2 x key programming)

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 10-30-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Hi guys.
Glad to report that car was successfully entered without breaking anything!
Locksmith attempted to used a fancy adjustable key to pick the lock, failed and ended up using the small airbag method to push the top rear corner of the drivers door out enough to get long hook through to pull the drivers interior door handle to pop the lock.

Battery was dead as I suspected, so we used a jump battery to supply power for transponder programming on the spare keys I had locked inside.
K-line bus proved too slow for the locksmiths equipment, so he pulled the dash and did the programming of the keys directly onto the immobiliser E-PROM.
Very interesting to watch!

Took about 4 hours in total (over an hour wasted on K-line through the OBD port before giving up), but I know my dash PIN now.
Cheap at au$450 (break in and 2 x key programming)
Good news Marty.

I can't believe that NO one suggested the airbag thing

You could have simply taken a locksmith course and ordered a few tools ... and a few months and a few $K later, you'da had that thing open. What was the rush? ...you really gotta learn patience.

Keep laughin ... you'll live longer (or at least happier).

Cheers,
Sam (proud hillbilly)
Old 10-31-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
I can't believe that NO one suggested the airbag thing
I think someone did early in the piece, but I didn't want to do it due to the Aluminium frame.

When the locksmith suggested it, I mentioned the alloy frame and he didn't realise it had it!
So he was very careful and gave it just enough to get his long handled hook through.
No damage, so I'm satisfied!
Locksmith also reckons he wouldn't have tried it if the cars battery wasn't flat due to the alarm - the remotes on the keys were already programmed though, so I wouldn't have been concerned!
Old 11-01-2015, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
I think someone did early in the piece, but I didn't want to do it due to the Aluminium frame.
Joking, Marty ... it was a little extra "jab" for a nameless (undeserving of further direct recognition) someone.

As another Sam once said (sang): "I gotta be me."

Cheers
Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had never heard of the air bag trick
had to look it up
cool!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, and they check your blood pressure when they're finished