A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C (Mis)Functionality and other annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C (Mis)Functionality and other annoyances

Okay, so it's been a while since I've really searched and perused this forum and Quattroworld - forgive me if there is a good explanation somewhere (and provide a link please!) but can someone explain why my A/C system just decides to close off all the vents and blow air around internally and not into the cabin?

This happens with the heat on, or with A/C when it's hot out (most of the time here in Florida) and this evening when I wanted the actual compressor off (economy mode) and just blow un-conditioned air as it was nice and cool outside tonight.

I set the controls manually to just the main front vents and I get air for 30-60 seconds, and then the air goes away - but the blower motor is still running and increasing speed b/c the system detects that it is getting increasingly warm in the cabin. I attempt to hit other vents like the footwells or windshield vents but nothing comes out. I lower the fan speed and turn the system off, then back on again and get air briefly, then it goes back to what it was doing. What is going on with it?

Also, is the right external mirror supposed to dim when the others do, or no? I thought mine did but it isn't now, just curious - I don't remember.

It's late and I can't think of anything else to complain about right now. However, the thing likes cold weather like the motorcycles I've owned in the past, looking forward to winter temps for a slight performance boost.

Eric
Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Razman
Okay, so it's been a while since I've really searched and perused this forum and Quattroworld - forgive me if there is a good explanation somewhere (and provide a link please!) but can someone explain why my A/C system just decides to close off all the vents and blow air around internally and not into the cabin?

This happens with the heat on, or with A/C when it's hot out (most of the time here in Florida) and this evening when I wanted the actual compressor off (economy mode) and just blow un-conditioned air as it was nice and cool outside tonight.

I set the controls manually to just the main front vents and I get air for 30-60 seconds, and then the air goes away - but the blower motor is still running and increasing speed b/c the system detects that it is getting increasingly warm in the cabin. I attempt to hit other vents like the footwells or windshield vents but nothing comes out. I lower the fan speed and turn the system off, then back on again and get air briefly, then it goes back to what it was doing. What is going on with it?

Also, is the right external mirror supposed to dim when the others do, or no? I thought mine did but it isn't now, just curious - I don't remember.

It's late and I can't think of anything else to complain about right now. However, the thing likes cold weather like the motorcycles I've owned in the past, looking forward to winter temps for a slight performance boost.

Eric
Vent problems: VagCom

Mirrors: The sensor for the outside mirrors is on the inside mirror...put your finger over it at night with cars behind you and the all mirrors return to non-dimming. Yes, the inside mirror is supposed to dim the same as outside.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Razman

Eric
Curious, Did you ever find a resolution to your A/C vent problem?
Old 07-12-2023, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Vent problems: VagCom

Mirrors: The sensor for the outside mirrors is on the inside mirror...put your finger over it at night with cars behind you and the all mirrors return to non-dimming. Yes, the inside mirror is supposed to dim the same as outside.
Wow. I didn't know that, even after reading my owner's manual thoroughly. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by The Peaceful One; 07-12-2023 at 08:35 AM.