A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can I roll a used odometer FORWARD? (importing a Canadian A8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at this on Ebay, I have never used them but I have seen other some youtube videos changing the mileage. BUYER BEWARE.

Odometer Correction: eBay Motors | eBay

Good Luck, Bob
Old 07-23-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought cars over 10 years old were exempt from odometer disclosure. i wouldnt even worry about it, just go in and title the car. They probably wont even ask mileage. if they do just say whats on the odometer. They have no way to track it, and it wont matter if you sell the car anyway.

New Jersey Odometer Fraud FAQs

WHEN ARE NEW JERSEY CARS EXEMPT FROM THE FEDERAL ODOMETER LAW?
 Vehicles with a gross weight of over 16,000 pounds or that or 10 years or older are exempt from the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act.
 Certain requirements of the Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act (those of subsections (b) and (c)(1)) do not apply if the State where the transfer of the vehicle occurs has in effect alternate motor vehicle mileage disclosure requirements approved by the Secretary of Transportation.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
I thought cars over 10 years old were exempt from odometer disclosure. i wouldnt even worry about it, just go in and title the car. They probably wont even ask mileage. if they do just say whats on the odometer. They have no way to track it, and it wont matter if you sell the car anyway.

New Jersey Odometer Fraud FAQs

WHEN ARE NEW JERSEY CARS EXEMPT FROM THE FEDERAL ODOMETER LAW?
 Vehicles with a gross weight of over 16,000 pounds or that or 10 years or older are exempt from the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act.
 Certain requirements of the Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act (those of subsections (b) and (c)(1)) do not apply if the State where the transfer of the vehicle occurs has in effect alternate motor vehicle mileage disclosure requirements approved by the Secretary of Transportation.
Thanks for this info. The 10 years old exemption puts a new twist on things. NJ does ask for the odometer reading on the application for title (which for an imported vehicle has to be done through the Special Titles Unit in Trenton, not any local branch). The mileage ends up on the title, as well as an identifier as to if it's the actual mileage, unknown mileage, and maybe something else, such as exceeded mechanical limits (turned over). And NJ knows what the odometer reading was when the person signed over the Canadian title to me, because the seller has to write it on the title. (In Canada it's really a combination title and registration.) I didn't want to deal with the potential questions raised by a mismatch between the swapped-in odometer and what it says on the Canadian title. Your 10-year exemption may have made that OK, though.

But I've already taken a different tack, though. See next reply.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default swapped over the mph faceplate instead

Thanks, all. I believe I have sidestepped the need to roll the used odometer forward by re-installing the original cluster (with its correct odometer) with only the mph speedo (and fuel gage) faceplate (they're both on the same piece of plastic), swapped onto the original cluster, from the used one. NJ is OK with the odometer reading in km, but I may try to change it to miles anyway using VAG-COM, as I've been advised can be done. I'll be making a new post about my learnings from this project. I think I destroyed the speedo and fuel gage on the used US cluster by prying the pointer needles off (to get to the faceplate). The needles were attached so tightly that they pulled the shafts (with coils attached) out of the instruments with them. The needles are built so that there's seemingly no way to hold the shafts in the instruments when pulling off the needles, at least not without some careful Dremel tool work. Don't know if the coils and shafts can be placed back in. But I don't need them since all I used from the used US cluster is the mph/fuel gage faceplate.

There are several places (eBay) that advertise they can roll the odometer to whatever you need. $80 - $120. But instead, swapping over the faceplate was free.

Last edited by hillpc; 07-27-2015 at 09:54 AM.