A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic Suspension Failure!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catastrophic Suspension Failure!

Hey folks,

I'd like to know your thoughts on what happened to my A8 last night. I'll try to make it a short read...

Basically, I think the ball joint broke. The front-left wheel just laid into the wheel-well. I heard the trans-axle smacking around a few times before I could put it into park. Disabled, right in the middle of the road. I inspected, but it was laying too low for me to assess the damage, but I think the trans-axle was pulled out. Could see the thick lubricant on the road.

Anyway, I tried to see if it would go into gear...nothing. Even park doesn't engage.

Please tell me that this is a safety feature of these transmissions. It won't engage because one of the trans-axles is out. Right???
Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly right. When the halfshaft drops out you will spin but not move. Guess how I know? I had an inexpensive control arm split on the casting seam right over the top of the ball joint.

When the FebiBilstein arm split, it dropped the corner to the pavement, separated the CV joint (toast), and tweaked the steering arm on the spindle. As the limeys say, false economy. I didn't discover the tweaked spindle until I tried to align it. hmmmm...Car-parts.com to the rescue...for $150. I'm running OE Lemfoerder arms now. The good stuff is cheaper in the long run.

quattroworld.com Forums: I am NOT a fan of Febi Bilstein arms...

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 08-25-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Brian,

It looks like you're running Bilstein shocks. How do you like them?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Hey Brian,

It looks like you're running Bilstein shocks. How do you like them?
I loves me the Bilstein/ Eibach combo. Good bang for the buck although the nose looks a smidgen high compared to the rear. The ride is about an inch lower and firmer although not harsh. ECS sells a threaded adjuster add-on for the later version front bilstein which will remedy that. Allegedly there are two different front bilsteins, not sure if the difference is diameter of the damper bodies or different brackets for the hose connection/and sensor wiring. Its another one on my to-do list.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kmonk
Hey folks,

I'd like to know your thoughts on what happened to my A8 last night. I'll try to make it a short read...

Basically, I think the ball joint broke. The front-left wheel just laid into the wheel-well. I heard the trans-axle smacking around a few times before I could put it into park. Disabled, right in the middle of the road. I inspected, but it was laying too low for me to assess the damage, but I think the trans-axle was pulled out. Could see the thick lubricant on the road.

Anyway, I tried to see if it would go into gear...nothing. Even park doesn't engage.

Please tell me that this is a safety feature of these transmissions. It won't engage because one of the trans-axles is out. Right???
PLEASE update us when you find the offending failure...and take photos if you can...it's how we all learn and can offer advice.

If it was an axle shaft, which joint? ...aftermarket shaft? ...what brand? ...etc, etc..

TIA
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
PLEASE update us when you find the offending failure...and take photos if you can...it's how we all learn and can offer advice.

If it was an axle shaft, which joint? ...aftermarket shaft? ...what brand? ...etc, etc..

TIA
Glad to do what I can. So far the shop has ordered control arm...called and said there are two (upper/lower or front and rear??). Also ordered new trans-axle. I will likely get it on Friday and inspect the failed parts and have more info.

Thanks!