A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak by transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak by transmission

Hey guys so I've been trying to figure out where my coolant has been going. Well I put the car on a lift and let it run for about 30 mins. Turn off and get under it I see no trials of liquid or anything other than this bolt that has coolant dripping off of it. It's on the passenger side by the catalytic converter and a transmission mount. I don't see any hoses or anything. But I wipe off the drips and here they come again I don't get it please help
Old 10-03-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jesseusmc
Hey guys so I've been trying to figure out where my coolant has been going. Well I put the car on a lift and let it run for about 30 mins. Turn off and get under it I see no trials of liquid or anything other than this bolt that has coolant dripping off of it. It's on the passenger side by the catalytic converter and a transmission mount. I don't see any hoses or anything. But I wipe off the drips and here they come again I don't get it please help
There's a pipe that runs back under the exhaust manifold and connects to a short hose and pipes wrapping to the rear of the heads.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a look at the coolant bleed valves - numbers 2 and 3 in the pic supplied by Sam above.
They are small plastic pipes (with metal reinforcement tubes) going through a grommet on the firewall, with the coolant bleed screws on top.

I had a leak nearly the same as yours, was very diffucult to find as it would only leak reasonably slowly when the system was hot and pressurised. Turns out the plastic pipes had cracked along the moulding seam top and bottom and would weep under pressure. The coolant ran down the back of the hoses on the engine side and drip on the exhaust manifold - often left no evidence on the floor. Sometimes dripped off the exhaust just by the left hand Catalyst.
Tightening the clamps made it worse (had screw clamps/jubilee clips on it already).
Replaced the pipes with new items (bit pricey, but not too bad), coolant loss solved.