A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pulinsh
where could be that damn problem? I even tried to bleed that system one more time, installed new cap, new thermostat, inspected that coolant tank - everything is ok ... so where is that damn problem?
Does it behave as though it's actually over-heating...or just the gauge reading?

Bad coolant temp sensor?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gauge is reading it and cooling fluid is hotter then ever... but ... today noticed interesting thing.
when I set heater to Hi it stays around 90 (90-91), but when I set around 24 degrees celsius than it goes up to 110 degrees... so when I open heater flaps for fluid to go freely it's ok ... why? air?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

gauge is reading it and cooling fluid is hotter then ever... but ... today noticed interesting thing.
when I set heater to Hi it stays around 90 (90-91), but when I set around 24 degrees celsius than it goes up to 110 degrees... so when I open heater flaps for fluid to go freely it's ok ... why? air?
seems normal: the heater uses engine heat and cools the engine as it works

110 is high. mine makes me believe 90 is the normal temp (can't really get this high at the moment, but when it was warmer the gauge would stay at a little below 90 all the time). btw, today I found that intermittent fan of WOT helps raise the temp to 90.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dreamhope
seems normal: the heater uses engine heat and cools the engine as it works

110 is high. mine makes me believe 90 is the normal temp (can't really get this high at the moment, but when it was warmer the gauge would stay at a little below 90 all the time). btw, today I found that intermittent fan of WOT helps raise the temp to 90.
I know it's high - and I need help to bring it down ... maybe radiator on some engine cooling liquid channels are blocked with smth?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know it's high - and I need help to bring it down ... maybe radiator on some engine cooling liquid channels are blocked with smth?
I think there may be a simple test for this:

You can let the engine warm up; then, HOVER your hand over different areas of the radiator (after shutting down the engine and possibly removing the fans for easier access). The coolant reservoir can be a reference. If everywhere is the same temperature, probably the radiator isn't clogged inside.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

everything is evenly hot, but still when I turn less than "hi" than it heats up ... WHY?
and now new problem - last time gas tank ended when it hit around 45% (35liters) now it was around 85%(65 liters)
I'm starting to hate germans and new audis ... piece of driving ****s
Old 11-29-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm going to suggest three things,

The first is to follow Silver_d2's advice and replace the temp sensor. It's inexpensive and this will rule out a gauge problem.

The second is that your original post stated you installed a second hand radiator.
**** it off and buy a new one - $400 isn't that expensive...

The third is that having had the heads off, is your car losing any coolant when it's doing all this hot running? As it may have a blown head gasket - especially as you say the mechanic was a scheister... You can test for this with a probe up the exhaust (at a garage), and a coolant testing kit (which you can pick up from auto shops).

As for your fuel problem, if it's running out of fuel at just under a 1/2 tank, this smacks of an incorrectly installed or sealed fuel pump assembly. Have you had the fuel pump out recently?
They are notoriously hard to mount correctly until you have some experience!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried different temp sensor - no change
tried different old radiator - no luck
when heater is on less than hi it will heat up and will lose coolant through coolant reservoir tank cover
I know that fuel tank like my own pocket - when I bought it - it had 2.8 fuel pump with messed up piping, I bought right pump, set pipse right, bought new gaskets for pump housing ... and THIS happend after it ended near 45% of tank, but now it dies at 80% ...
and I followed every step in original schematics of gas tank