A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft positioning sensor location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft positioning sensor location?

I have a 2001 A8L and I bought the sensor but I just don't know where its located. Some help will be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01a8l
I have a 2001 A8L and I bought the sensor but I just don't know where its located. Some help will be appreciated.
Welcome aboard!

The crankshaft position sensor on all Audi A8/S8 D2 models is on the transmission bellhousing (driver's side).

It's located roughly at 2 o'clock looking from the front of the engine (just behind the engine / transmission mounting faces).
The following users liked this post:
Sale Salac (05-08-2020)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

G28

http://audipages.com/tozo/5HP24A.JPG
Sale Salac (05-08-2020)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollywood
Welcome aboard!

The crankshaft position sensor on all Audi A8/S8 D2 models is on the transmission bellhousing (driver's side).

It's located roughly at 2 o'clock looking from the front of the engine (just behind the engine / transmission mounting faces).
Does anyone have a writeup on this?
Is it something I can do at home?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by giotown
Does anyone have a writeup on this?
Is it something I can do at home?
Not much to write about. You need a 5mm Allen wrench to remove one bolt then unplug the sensor and replace.
Sale Salac (05-08-2020)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tozoM8
Not much to write about. You need a 5mm Allen wrench to remove one bolt then unplug the sensor and replace.
Be careful. I sheared the head off the allen bolt when I removed mine. Should have used WD-40, or heat, or tried to tighten it a tiny bit first. Now I have to get in there with a drill and a tiny EZ Out, or some other method of removing the broken-off bolt.
Sale Salac (05-08-2020)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gorkyc
if that is where the cam position sensor is located than what is this sensor(attached) on the backside of the driverside bank of cylinders up against the firewall. I believe it is also called a crankshaft position sensor.
Your picture is of a camshaft position sensor (G40), something completely different than the engine speed (rpm) sensor (G28), which also acts as a crankshaft position sensor in the D2 A8. (Thanks to silverd2 for this info.) Other (later?) years have a separate crankshaft position sensor (G4) right next to the G28.
Sale Salac (05-08-2020)
Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gorkyc
if that is where the cam position sensor is located than what is this sensor(attached) on the backside of the driverside bank of cylinders up against the firewall. I believe it is also called a crankshaft position sensor.

which one normally fails more often? mine is COVERED in dirt and oil.
As hillpc stated, that is camshaft position sensor ... there are two of those ... the other is on the front end of the passenger's side cylinder head (bank #1)
Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft/Engine Speed Sensor

On my 2000 A8L (4.2) the Crankshaft/Engine Speed Sensor is on the driver's side of the transmission just in front of the axle. It can be accessed by removing the right front wheel.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By now this question will be answered in one way or another, but just to put a few remarks right and remove some of the confusion which I had when replacing the G28 12 months ago, and reading this thread for the same question, (where do I find the crankshaft speed sensor, also known as the inductor sensor, G28 and other names) .When referring to the drivers side, you do not know whether your referring to Drivers in the USA or UK ? and so the photo given by TOZO M8 Tech Guru tells all, except to say that access on the D2 platform would be via the left front wheel, in addition, using a 5mm Allen key is fine, except you have to remove the heat shield which covers the Sensor ,which has 2 different sized bolts( just to confuse you further) and it is this shield that hides the Sensor that makes it difficult to find the G28 in the first place, in all although it seems to be a 30 minuet job, if you work by yourself you can book 3 hours easily, please get a helper to give you a hand and make sure you use axle stands if like myself you don't have a pit to work from, Good Luck
Sale Salac (05-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Crankshaft positioning sensor location?