A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 A8/S8's life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 A8/S8's life expectancy?

Hey all. Just wondering what your experience has been with how long the D2 A8/S8 seems to last? I'm well aware of the transmission issues but I hardly ever hear of any major engine failures. My '97 is just turning 206k miles and the engine runs fantastic. I'm fairly certain someone has replaced the transmission as it shifts too well and there's signs that it has been removed at some point in its life. For being nearly 20 years old, it is a really impressive machine.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I feel that I use audipages as a check list of things I've had to fix on the car, but none of them have been terminal. I wonder if it's more of that owners give up on the car than the car has died. With market values of these cars being so low, if you can't do the repairs yourself I guess I can understand why some do walk away from the car.

I keep thinking what I'd replace mine with if it ever did "die." I like the look of the D3, but from what I've read the D2 is a nicer car to drive. Plus there is a lot less going on gizmo-wise in the D2, so less stuff to break. I think I'd probably just look for a little newer D2. They are one hell of a bang for the buck.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There is more stuff to break on the D3 but that stuff is very nice. I really enjoy the soft close doors and MMI. The massage function is mostly worthless but the ventilated seats are great on long trips. Trans in the D3 is also pretty bulletproof. I think the real value for money right now is the D4. Prices are getting very low and reliability seems quite good. In a few more years we'll probably start to see more air suspension failures but the engine and trans seem to be very good. I just wish they hadn't made the trunk so small.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent Comment OP.
Walking away from my D2 would hinge around something major within the drive line failing or getting into a wreck. Considering most all cars less than properly kept will "sooner" than later become a liability to their owner if not cared for properly. Buying an Audi with a proven track record, along with not keeping it up is hard to understand. After a certain number of miles all four wheel transportation eventually finds a crusher or museum.
I got my A8 after years of looking for a better than average kept unit. Finally, I found one that upon opening the oil filler, found a clean breather.
I then spent a great deal of effort (money) and replaced most every system on the car. It looks great and runs like a "bat out of hell" with handling like it is on rails and seating four comfortably.
Happy to say my 911S doesn't come close.
Comparison, I don't think anything comes close for what a little effort will deliver.
I started driving in the mid 60s and find driving a 15+ year old A8 puts whatever is next, way in the mirror.
Considering the expense of a new A8, I am very pleased with the time taken and their results.. pc

Last edited by pocketchange; 03-17-2016 at 09:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pocketchange:
97_A8_Owner (10-01-2019), Shunt1 (12-23-2019)
Old 03-17-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On those old ones the Engine will easily go 300k or more with good maintence and timing belt replacements. Maintain the transmission to hope for as long of life as possible, fluid and filter every 40k miles. My S4 is almost to 200k. Still a great solid car. I expect 300k easily out of it.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
On those old ones the Engine will easily go 300k or more with good maintence and timing belt replacements. Maintain the transmission to hope for as long of life as possible, fluid and filter every 40k miles. My S4 is almost to 200k. Still a great solid car. I expect 300k easily out of it.
I have a 2001 A8l with over 360,000 Miles on it.
I have owned it since 120,000 miles..
I have done cam tensioners, 2 fuel pumps now, a transmission rebuild.. and a ton of other maintenance & upgrades.
I have shifted my love to a D2 S8 that I acquired from a forum member for pennies on the dollar.

I am about to give the wife my A8L and sell her A8L off.
That being said with 360,000 miles it consumes a couple of quarts of synthetic oil between changes but overall has been an amazing vehicle
Old 03-27-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Life expectancy? Could be quite substantial depending on how many transmission rebuilds you want to do.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old 08-20-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Upgrade

Originally Posted by audinutt
I have a 2001 A8l with over 360,000 Miles on it.
I have owned it since 120,000 miles..
I have done cam tensioners, 2 fuel pumps now, a transmission rebuild.. and a ton of other maintenance & upgrades.
I have shifted my love to a D2 S8 that I acquired from a forum member for pennies on the dollar.

I am about to give the wife my A8L and sell her A8L off.
That being said with 360,000 miles it consumes a couple of quarts of synthetic oil between changes but overall has been an amazing vehicle
Congrats on the S8 D2 purchase decision. After owning a 99 A8 and 00 A8L I finally found a 01 S8 in very good condition and a folder full of over 10 years of maintenance receipts. A bonus is a $6200 receipt done 30k miles ago for timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump. I like a personal touch so mounted a set of Zenetti 19" chrome wheels. Although it has 160k miles, I have no complaints other than a brake wear sensor wire problem that can be easily fixed.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2001 A8L had 209k miles on it when I got in a wreck and totaled it. Best car I ever drove. It didn't burn any oil and also had been lovingly maintained by the 2 previous owners. Reverse stopped working shortly after I bought it but all forward gears were perfect. I still drove it like that for several months while I prepared to swap a low miles, used transmission in.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$6200 for timing belt job? Sure glad I could do my own on our 2002 S8 for the cost of parts.

Quick Reply: D2 A8/S8's life expectancy?