A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 engine cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 S8 engine cranks but won't start

Hi guys, I have owned this S8 for a month, great car, ran well. I got in yesterday, cranked in but won't start ( the missus said I should have bought an Alfa 105 2000, simple car). From what I read it might be the crank position sensor. Is there any way to test the senor with a multimeter at the pin connector. I'm Australia and parts are expensive and hard to get.
Thanks in advance.Mooshman
Old 06-20-2015, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got VAG com?

Best couple of bucks you'll ever spend on this car. It will save you ten-fold down the road. It could be a bunch of things, G20 sensor (engine speed sensor) & fuel pump come to mind. What year is your S? Mileage? Do you know the maintenance history?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
Got VAG com?

Best couple of bucks you'll ever spend on this car. It will save you ten-fold down the road. It could be a bunch of things, G20 sensor (engine speed sensor) & fuel pump come to mind. What year is your S? Mileage? Do you know the maintenance history?
Its a 2001 with 130k kms. No service history which is why I'm also getting quotes to replace timing belt etc.
I just wanted to know if there was a quick impedance check between pins on the connector to see if the transducer is OK before replacing and hoping for the best.
Cheers
Old 06-21-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooshman2001S8
Its a 2001 with 130k kms. No service history which is why I'm also getting quotes to replace timing belt etc.
I just wanted to know if there was a quick impedance check between pins on the connector to see if the transducer is OK before replacing and hoping for the best.
Cheers
Here ya go >>>

Old 06-21-2015, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Here ya go >>>

Thanks for that mate. Just checked it and it was 875 ohms at around 20 deg C. So that says that its looking OK. Just tried a quick squirt of start ya bastard to see if I could get some ignition but no go. Ill have to get it diagnosed to see what codes come up. When the car stopped running I was just getting quotes to replace the timing and other associated parts. Audi dealer was $3600.00. All gen parts and all bolts replaced and 2 year warranty. Parts alone were $2400 according to him. Are the after market parts and belts just as good? Then it would only cost around $1000 for parts ex USA. Back to the research.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default U gotta start somewhere..

Is it getting fuel?

When I first picked mine up, the first thing I did was park it until I had replaced everything that was questionable.. which was EVERYTHING.
System by system.. all of them that are basic to safe operation. By the time I finished, even the radiator cap. pc

Last edited by pocketchange; 06-26-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: tic..
Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

What does your fuel gauge read? Sometimes the one half of the tank is empty and the other half won't suck up fuel due to the fuel pump (when it was replaced) being improperly reseated.

Occasionally mine will only crank and I've learned to turn the ignition off, then tap the gas pedal as I start cranking again. Never failed to start after that
Old 06-30-2015, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi guys, thanks for the response. At the moment it appears that the fuel pump is shot. I connected power direct to the connector and got nothing. I have ordered one from the US on Friday and I think it arrived today. Fed Ex left a card saying they missed us so hopefully get it tomorrow. I don't want to remove the sender unit from the tank until I have the pump in my hand. Then the fun starts, probably attempt it on the weekend. I hope it's just the pump cause I only got 2.8 volts at the connector when I switch the ignition on. I have also checked the crank position sensor and it measures OK, 875 ohms, which is what SILVERD2s info suggested it would.
Its great that there are so many people out there offering their two bobs worth to help others fix their car problems. It's much appreciated. No such thing in Australia for Audis especially the older ones.
Cheers.
Mooshman
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just did mine over the weekend, and have posted details on an other not to be named forum. Have a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it, silverd2 (amazingly knowledgeable resource BTW) posts there as well.

gord
Ottawa, Canada
Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just found an Aussie forum. Nothing like this one though. This one is full of, well, lots of experience! Heaps more Audis to go wrong. And I mean that in the most endearing way.
Cheers

Quick Reply: D2 S8 engine cranks but won't start