A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 S8 - Hit Rev Limiter on 3rd now ABS CEL are on

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 S8 - Hit Rev Limiter on 3rd now ABS CEL are on

My car 2001 S8

I was doing some spirited driving and I hit the 3rd gear rev limiter and my CEL and ABS lights came on. I know my car is a 2001 but I'd like to drive a little hard from time to time and not have to treat it like a baby at all times like I usually do and as soon as I have a little fun it acts up. These cars a way to sensitive. Just venting.

If I decide to this again in the near future after resetting the CEL and ABS should I just turn off the ESP to avoid this happening or is this car just a little baby no matter what?

Anybody local to Granada Hills CA that would volunteer to reset this on a Sunday? My indie is closed today. I'll pay you, thanks.

Last edited by CLKFAN; 02-15-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CLKFAN
My car 2001 S8

I was doing some spirited driving and I hit the 3rd gear rev limiter and my CEL and ABS lights came on. I know my car is a 2001 but I'd like to drive a little hard from time to time and not have to treat it like a baby at all times like I usually do and as soon as I have a little fun it acts up. These cars a way to sensitive. Just venting.

If I decide to this again in the near future after resetting the CEL and ABS should I just turn off the ESP to avoid this happening or is this car just a little baby no matter what?

Anybody local to Granada Hills CA that would volunteer to reset this on a Sunday? My indie is closed today. I'll pay you, thanks.
If I remember I try to shut off the ESP as I've had it cut my power on dry pavement before with the hammer down. Hasn't happened lately but I haven't applied WOT all that much either. Not sure why so sensitive.

Raz
Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CLKFAN
My car 2001 S8

We would be curious to see what codes are read before they are erased.

I would try it a few redline runs with ESP turned off.

Did the CEL flash any at all at redline or just come on solid only? Flashing CEL is misfire (injector, coil, plug, timing, etc...).

Did the ESP icon flash at the time at all?

The ESP not only works with the ABS (to brake a single wheel to stop spin or side skid), it also controls the electronic throttle (cuts or eases off on throttle if wheel spin isn't stopped by braking the spinning wheel). In the S8 (unlike A8) the rev-limiter closes the throttle valve at redline (7200)....A8 cuts the injectors at it's redline (6600). I wonder if there could have been a momentary miscommunication between the ECM and ABS module, when the throttle valve closed at redline(?).

Codes read and further attempts at redline should tell it all.

If your indy doesn't have Vagcom, a simple code reader is not likely to tell you anything about the ABS module...parts store code readers mainly read ECM codes (misfires, etc) ...things that lead to emissions problems only.

PS: I'm a little over 2200 miles away, so I can't read your codes ...sorry

Last edited by silverd2; 02-15-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2

Did the CEL flash any at all at redline or just come on solid only? Flashing CEL is misfire (injector, coil, plug, timing, etc...).

The ESP not only works with the ABS (to brake a single wheel to stop spin or side skid), it also controls the electronic throttle (cuts or eases off on throttle if wheel spin isn't stopped by braking the spinning wheel). In the S8 (unlike A8) the rev-limiter closes the throttle valve at redline (7200)....A8 cuts the injectors at it's redline (6600). I wonder if there could have been a momentary miscommunication between the ECM and ABS module, when the throttle valve closed at redline(?).

If your indy doesn't have Vagcom, a simple code reader is not likely to tell you anything about the ABS module...parts store code readers mainly read ECM codes (misfires, etc) ...things that lead to emissions problems only.

No flashing just constant light when it came on. I'll report back when I get the codes read and cleared. Then I will try it again with ESP off to see if it does it again.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2

Car was running rich turns out I needed a new MAF but after the install the car was fine until I did the same (WOT) and it did it again. Now after a 2nd opinion it seems the car has an issue with running rich with 1gm of air being read. The MAF is not getting a solid signal and this indie wants 6hrs labor to diagnose the problem before any repair is done. Says he has to check all wiring to the ECU to eliminate a guessing game. Says worst case I need to repair the intake manifold or at least clean it if their is a block somewhere but if not it's my wiring. He is certain my ABS is fine and is not the issue. Says the MAF will trip up the ABS and cause bad tranny shifts as well. If there is an issue with the signal being read from the MAF why would it be the intake manifold? Going to get a 3rd opinion. Car runs ok but tranny shifts could be better.

Anyone local to me here in the Los Angels area who would like to help me out. I started with Eurosport in Burbank then Wicked Motorsports in Van Nuys. Wicked seemed to know their stuff but I would like a 3rd opinion. Vic at Eurowerks is always too busy. Thanks in advance.