A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 1995 A8 engine number ABZ 008178

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early 1995 A8 engine number ABZ 008178

Hello everyone, in final desperation I'm turning to all you guys out there. I have a 1995 A8 D2 platform, engine number ABZ 008178 the diagnostics show (D28) that there is no engine speed signal this is in line with its behaviour, warms up and dies (Audi techy says this is because the coil start to short out when it gets hot( we've had temps in cape town lately 35 ambient lately),no problem, my problem is the location of the sender, it is nowhere shown on any web search, it is not on either side of the transmission or engine , Ive traced the cable from the ECU to the GREY connector, and from there it is suppose to have a 10inch run of cable to the sender, not very far from its starting point, and it appears to disappear behind a steel plate about 4/5 inches below and to the left of the Cam sender, back of engine,can anyone with knowledge of this early model enlighten me further, because if the sender is in this situ, one will have to be a contortionist to get at it, and probably that's why it was later relocated to the side of the engine/transmission, if I'm right then I'm going to have to make a plan but don't want to go thru the agony to find its not where I think it is , thanks in anticipation
Old 02-24-2016, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like you're on the right path. The sensor is located in the gearbox bellhousing right next to the engine block, underneath the steel heat shield. It reads the engine speed from the teeth on the flywheel.

You can get to it either from the left side wheel well (in front of the axle), or from underneath.

Far left of this pic, labelled 'Engine speed sensor G28':

Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

MikkiJayne, thank you for the early reply but my point was that it was not in any previous web search , which included either side of the transmission or engine, which is where your Pic indicates, there was a hidden question in my request, it was does anyone know of the ESS location in an earlier or my current engine number ie ABZ 008178 as I'm sure that Audi relocated it in a later model, as is shown by the Pic you have shown, because of the issue of access in the model/engine number shown prevoiously, as mentioned above the engine transmission joining and between the firewall and back of engine a couple of inches below left camshaft sender,and if the cam sender was not there it would be more accessable, but I don't fancy removing it at this point in time, (my Bentley manual ie laptop with XP was burgled just before Xmas)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah sorry yours will be 4-speed. That pic ^ is a 5-speed.

You can just see the sensor a few cm higher up than it is on the 5-speed.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default A8/S8 (D2 Platform)

Hi MikkiJayne, sorry for late reply, just to say thanks for your help, the ESS was indeed as you indicated on the 4 speed tranny, needless to say I now have a pretty bruised wrist, and may have found a generic ESS with original /same type of connection, the Audi replacements require an additional harness to accept different configured connection, but thanks once again.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear friends. I alstroemerias have a 4 speed 1995 A8 D2. I never played with any diagnostic tools. Just bought a chinese VAG-COM USB cable. Question 1: where can I find the port on my car? Question 2: Any specific software? Question 3: Is it safe to play with it? Thanks! Apparently I 'l have fun with it.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by angelo.marzolla
Dear friends. I alstroemerias have a 4 speed 1995 A8 D2. I never played with any diagnostic tools. Just bought a chinese VAG-COM USB cable. Question 1: where can I find the port on my car? Question 2: Any specific software? Question 3: Is it safe to play with it? Thanks! Apparently I 'l have fun with it.
1. Under the driver's side dash, near your left knee ... if not there (non-USA car), it may be under a pop=out cover next to you ashtray.

2. Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download

3. The free version can't do much damage, but stick to ONLY reading fault codes until you learn more about your car (like changing your own headlight bulbs, etc ..)

Cheers

PS: "alstroemerias" ??
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The early D2's had it under the ashtray I think.
There's a little spring loaded switch just in front of the cigarette lighter/power socket which will release the ashtray to simply pull out.
That's assuming a '95 car has OBD2 - only became universal from '96 didn't it?