A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling transmission

I installed a recently rebuilt transmission and refilled according to this procedure audipages A8 Automatic Transmission Servicing. I wasn't thinking and only had 9 quarts on hand so I had to cap it off before it started draining back out of the fill hole. I have a feeling it's about a quart low. How do I go about getting the rest of the fluid in without draining the whole trans again?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacktt3z
I installed a recently rebuilt transmission and refilled according to this procedure audipages A8 Automatic Transmission Servicing. I wasn't thinking and only had 9 quarts on hand so I had to cap it off before it started draining back out of the fill hole. I have a feeling it's about a quart low. How do I go about getting the rest of the fluid in without draining the whole trans again?

Thanks
If it took 9 quarts, then the TC in the rebuilt had not been prefilled. With TC full, it should only take about 7.5 - 8 qts.

You simply start cold again. Get the car in position (dead level, jacked up) ... start it up, run through the gears to get the existing fluid in circulation ... pull the filler plug and add more till it overflows (and has reach but not passed the recommended fill temp max).

If it's idling, has not passed 45C (113F ... hot bathwater temp) and it overflows, you're good to go.

Last edited by silverd2; 11-12-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I should take 12.5qts

Unless You reused the old TC.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tozoM8
New torque converter
Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

12.5 qts ?

...mine drained 7.5 liters (filter out) and refilled the same amount to overflow, at bathwater temp (40K miles ago).

So does this chart not include TC content? >>

Old 11-13-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It says 10.4 qt for 01L new fill right there on your chart...not 8.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
It says 10.4 qt for 01L new fill right there on your chart...not 8.
What's your point?

Simply "draining" a used trans does not drain the TC (that means "torque converter") and will not drain 10.4 qts (not even close) ... TC has to be force emptied separately. New fill usually means "new fill" (from the factory or replaced, fluidless trans).

I can read "my" chart just fine. Now...you try reading Tozo's post again.

Now back to my question for Tozo (who normally provides correct answers), who mentioned "12.5 qts" ... where's the 2.1 qts? TC? "Not" included as "new fill"?

Last edited by silverd2; 11-14-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default With a new TC and rebuilt trans it will take 12.5qts.

There is a lot of fluid in the clutches and valve body. That chart is wrong. 4.2qts for change is way too low.
Originally Posted by silverd2
What's your point?

Simply "draining" a used trans does not drain the TC (that means "torque converter") and will not drain 10.4 qts (not even close) ... TC has to be force emptied separately. New fill usually means "new fill" (from the factory or replaced, fluidless trans).

I can read "my" chart just fine. Now...you try reading Tozo's post again.

Now back to my question for Tozo (who normally provides correct answers), who mentioned "12.5 qts" ... where's the 2.1 qts? TC? "Not" included as "new fill"?

Last edited by tozoM8; 11-15-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is a lot of fluid in the clutches and valve body. That chart is wrong. 4.2qts for change is way too low.
Agreed about the 4.2qts ... but, to be fair, when I first drained mine with just the drain plug, that's about what came out initially (few minutes). Of course, when I pulled the pan and filter I drained the rest of a total of a hair less than 8 qts (not overnight ... maybe an hour)... and it refilled to overflow (dead level, right temp, went through the gears as instructed, etc...) with a hair less than 8qts.

Amazing that (but I believe it) that the TC, VB, clutches can hold over a gallon of ATF .

The chart apparently considers "new fill" with a pre-filled TC (2.1 qts would be reasonable?) . And a "change" amount is just a quick drain of the pan with the fill plug (almost exactly what I got ... 4.2 qts) ... now THAT is a huge mistake on the chart, just call that a "change".

Thanks for your (as always) knowledgeable response.

Hope you're doing well.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So if everything is completely dry (trans,valve body, clutches, and tc). How much fluid total would it take to fill? 12.5 quarts?

Quick Reply: Filling transmission