A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Power Steering, diagnostic procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heavy Power Steering, diagnostic procedure?

Purchased a replacement S8 last week for my daughter. (A Honda tried to stop the previous one by pulling across in front of it!)
On this new one the steering is stiff and heavy especially noticeable at lower speeds. (I know its not right because I have the previous S8 for comparison)
The P/S fluid is at the right level. I don't hear any steering whine. I already replaced the Servotronic relay in the passenger footwell, which had no affect.
Can anyone post the Bentley diagnostic steps? (and loan me the P/S pump pressure tester - ha ha, just kidding)
Can anyone offer some insight on how to proceed?
Mark
Old 12-10-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, I located the check procedure for the Servotronic valve:

In the relay panel in the RHS (passenger US) footwell. Locate Servotronic relay.
Take measurement at relay connector between contacts -2- and -5-.
Specified value: 6 - 12 ohms. If specified value is not attained:
Pull connector off Servotronic valve. Check wiring between relay connector and connector for Servotronic valve for short circuit and open circuit. Replace Servotronic valve if wiring is OK.

I checked this on my car and found infinite resistance. Anyone know if it's possible to replace the Servotronic valve without removing the steering rack?
Mark
Old 01-19-2016, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is switching sometimes is heavy sometimes ultra light,i have the new relay but somehow i always forget to replace it to see if it will solve it.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am having a similar issue with stiff then ultra light. I have not had a chance for my mechanic to check it out. Curious to see if that resolves it Y888.
I am considering a flush and new fluid since I'm not sure it's ever been done. Car only has 85K miles - fluid level is OK and the symptoms are recent
Old 01-25-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a really loud whining when i turn the wheels left or right,
took out the filter ffrom power steering reservoir and cleanned it and about 80% noise is gone.
Ill try pouring some ps stop leak to see if it will fix it.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update on heavy steering at low speeds

I replaced two leaking return hoses and flushed the system with new fluid.
It's better but definitely not right. Sometimes it seems the steering can be light immediately after I first start the car and then reverts to its heavier mode. Don't know why that would be.
At speed everything is fine.
After replacing the relay with no effect, I'm coming down to the conclusion that the servotronic solenoid is not functioning properly.
It looks like the rack has to come out to replace the solenoid actuator. After looking at some rebuilt rack options online, every rebuilder assume that you will use your old solenoid, and they want a few hundred more dollars if they include a working solenoid.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

iv read everybody is happy with Jorgen.
335$ for 2002 S8 but it doesnt say anything about that solenoid as far as iv read.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PS Issues

Hoses have been know to collapse internally.. especially on the suction side.

I'd suggest replacing it (hose) to insure that isn't the issue unless you have discovered something else that's causing your issue. Also, PS pumps are know to go South with that many miles especially if regular service has been missed.

The only time I would look to the rack would be if it is leaking or sloppy, again due to missed service.

Not uncommon that regular service has been skipped since most of the owners of these units are rental returns, etc..
Why service the unit if you are in the position to get a new one.

Sad but true.. pc
Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Power steering stiff at low speeds

Although the pump is a possibility, the fact that the resistance across the wires to my Servotronic solenoid reads infinite resistance, indicates something is wrong with the solenoid (or wiring to the solenoid or with my testing method).
Yesterday I also heard some groaning, grinding mechanical complaint noises when I was turning the steering at full lock pulling out of a tight parking place.

I'm in no hurry to pull the rack because of the cost and time needed.