A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues after timing belt serviced

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues after timing belt serviced

I went in too get some work done on my car after engine kept overheating and I was losing said. Before hand I got my car scanned at Auto zone and came up with the code for "intake camshaft sensor". Mechanic said it's possibly from the timing belt being "loose" and not spinning the water pump fast enough. Since its almost time for the belt service anyway I went ahead an ok'd the repairs.
He ended up replacing the
timing belt
water pump
thermostat
spark plugs and valve cover gaskets ( they were oily).
After everything is done later on I noticed it was riding rough. I would press the gas but only the rpm gauge would move then the car would jerk and adjust itself. so I got a scan at autozone and got the codes
P0102
P0300
P0305
P0308
took it to the mechanic and he reset the cel to see if it comes on . It hasn't but the car is still acting up. what could possibly cause this ??
Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

The P0300 Series are cylinder misfire codes and 305 is cylinder 5 and 308 is cylinder 8.

I’d skip Autozone and spend the $106 to scan yourself

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS-Lite Software Registration
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD-2-USB-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-Cable-Diagnostic-Scanner-For-Audi-VW-SEAT-Volkswagen-/281521672568?hash=item418bffd178&item=281521672568&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The mechanic where I took it too has a scanner. Its not a ross, but I was trying to get an idea as too what I could expect it might be. Im taking it back on Saturday. Since getting it back it has gone into "limp mode" 2 times after I try an accelerate and the engine only revs. This has never happened before I took my car in. I currently have about 158k miles.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by therealkingcorona
The mechanic where I took it too has a scanner. Its not a ross, but I was trying to get an idea as too what I could expect it might be. Im taking it back on Saturday. Since getting it back it has gone into "limp mode" 2 times after I try an accelerate and the engine only revs. This has never happened before I took my car in. I currently have about 158k miles.
A regular code scanner only reads codes related to emissions...cat codes, fuel mixture, misfires, etc. ONLY Rosstech VagCom (VCDS) or a VW/Audi dealer (same software) can read other modules, such as the transmission control module...trans codes are what you need to read...your mechanic did not do this.

Unless the "mechanic" was stupid enough to remove the ATF cooler lines from the radiator (losing ATF) or actually pulled the motor (neither likely or necessary), then he didn't cause the trans problems....could be a coincidence, especially at 158K miles...statistically past due for trans issues.

Need to read trans codes with Ross VCDS and check trans level (not simple).

The misfire codes could have been caused by the mechanic in a variety of ways...most likely: timing not correct...easy to check, depending on the year of your car (NOT mentioned here...important!).

PS: If you quoted your mechanic accurately in your first post (loose belt...not turning water pump!?) , he's totally full of crap and not qualified to work on your car.

Last edited by silverd2; 02-27-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Based off of the posts I would say the mechanic is not competent enough to work on this car either. Lets just clear the codes and see what happens...
Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 123quattro
Based off of the posts I would say the mechanic is not competent enough to work on this car either. Lets just clear the codes and see what happens...
He did clear the codes. They havent came back but its still acting up. Now it wont go past 3000k rpm unless i REALLY force it. But it skips through 3000k and jumps into 4000k an continues to rise normally.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

He did clear the codes. They havent came back but its still acting up. Now it wont go past 3000k rpm unless i REALLY force it. But it skips through 3000k and jumps into 4000k an continues to rise normally.
If he does not have Ross tech, he did NOT clear or read trans codes...you are not describing engine problems...you are describing a trans problem.

1. Get a Vagcom (rosstech) code read...CHEAP...free download ("VCDS-Lite") and an eBay OBD2 cable.

2. Get someone qualified in the CORRECT procedure to check ATF level.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
If he does not have Ross tech, he did NOT clear or read trans codes...you are not describing engine problems...you are describing a trans problem.

1. Get a Vagcom (rosstech) code read...CHEAP...free download ("VCDS-Lite") and an eBay OBD2 cable.

2. Get someone qualified in the CORRECT procedure to check ATF level.
Could this not be possible if the timing belt was out of time or if there is a leak by the maf? I know the "transmission" worked perfectly up until the repairs. He has 1 of these

http://www.mactools.com/en-us/Diagnostics-and-Testing/Scan-Tools/ET6500/Mentor-Touch-

I dont know if there any good or just for domestic cars.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Could this not be possible if the timing belt was out of time or if there is a leak by the maf? I know the "transmission" worked perfectly up until the repairs. He has 1 of these

Products

I dont know if there any good or just for domestic cars.
Again: WHAT YEAR CAR? ...two VERY different engines.

Details I find on that diagnostic tool are not very specific...so don't know if he can read other modules...ask him...look at results.

The engine takes at least 2 driving cycles to trigger a code. If the timing is off, it will trigger some kind of code...and it is incredibly easy to check proper timing visually from the outside of the engine. If it's a 32V engine, the cam chain timing might require removing the valve covers, but not on a 40V.

Any of the possibilities you mention about possible engine problems will trip codes to read.

"skips through 3000k and jumps into 4000k" ..that description sound like a trans thing...a motor can't just jump to a much higher rpm unless the trans allows it...unless you are talking about actually revving it up in neutral(?)

Last edited by silverd2; 02-28-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Again: WHAT YEAR CAR? ...two VERY different engines.

Details I find on that diagnostic tool are not very specific...so don't know if he can read other modules...ask him...look at results.

The engine takes at least 2 driving cycles to trigger a code. If the timing is off, it will trigger some kind of code...and it is incredibly easy to check proper timing visually from the outside of the engine. If it's a 32V engine, the cam chain timing might require removing the valve covers, but not on a 40V.

Any of the possibilities you mention about possible engine problems will trip codes to read.

"skips through 3000k and jumps into 4000k" ..that description sound like a trans thing...a motor can't just jump to a much higher rpm unless the trans allows it...unless you are talking about actually revving it up in neutral(?)
Its a 2000 32V. These codes came up
P0102
P0300
P0305
P0308
But after he cleared them they havent came back up. Although i dont know how long a drive cycle is. Ive drove it about 100 miles since the codes were cleared. The car is currently back at his place, but since it took him a long time to work on the repairs i thought id ask here since you guys seem to be more educated about this vehicle besides this car he has only worked on the timing belt for an a6
Oh and about the rpm its not like it skips it but after steadily remaining by 3k while accelerating an press the gas down more it hesitates for a few seconds ,by the time it responds it would technically have gone to the 4k. Maybe the misfire in the cylinder 5 or 8 makes it hesitate then when it compensates it jerks it up to 4 an continues normally. If that makes any sense

Last edited by therealkingcorona; 02-28-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: adding more information

Quick Reply: Issues after timing belt serviced