A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A8 no tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A8 no tail lights

All lights work except the tail lights.

A test light at the L & R tail light sockets in the trunk shows NO voltage.

A test light on the fuses for the left & right tail lights indicates current with the switch in the on position, no current in the off position.

Working backwards and energizing the tail light socket, the tail light bulbs light up as well as the side and front marker lights but no current at the fuses.

It looks like the switch is OK but there is an open circuit between the fuse and the tail light socket.

I don't have a Bentley but the ALLDATA current diagrams show a LAMP CONTROL MODULE in the circuit between the fuses and the tail light socket. ALLDATA shows it located in the right footwell but I don't see it.

Any help locating this module or other information is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2000 A8 no tail lights UPDATE

Originally Posted by janl
All lights work except the tail lights.

A test light at the L & R tail light sockets in the trunk shows NO voltage.

A test light on the fuses for the left & right tail lights indicates current with the switch in the on position, no current in the off position.

Working backwards and energizing the tail light socket, the tail light bulbs light up as well as the side and front marker lights but no current at the fuses.

It looks like the switch is OK but there is an open circuit between the fuse and the tail light socket.

I don't have a Bentley but the ALLDATA current diagrams show a LAMP CONTROL MODULE in the circuit between the fuses and the tail light socket. ALLDATA shows it located in the right footwell but I don't see it.

Any help locating this module or other information is appreciated.
I found the module after removing the floorboard under the pass floor mat. 3 of the modules had the connectors only partially plugged in. Once plugged back in, the lights worked fine.

The owner recently had a ETC problem fixed at a local Audi dealer ($4000) and that's when the tail lights stopped working. He brought the car back and asked about the lights and was told "it could take a long time to fix a problem like that". He was convinced before I looked at the car that Audi sabotaged his car to get him to come back and spend more money. Any thoughts or experience?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to see this one laid to rest and that it was a simple fix. Thanks for sharing janl