A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking from rear differential

Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Oil leaking from rear differential

I have what looks to be oil (?) moisture around my S8 rear differential. There are no oil drips on my garage floor but the area around the rear differential has oil on it. The oil is also getting on the exhaust pipe, which is causing a burnt smell.

My next oil change is in two month and I am planning on having the mechanic assess and fix the leaking.

Besides the smell, do I need to be worried about this leaking? Should I make an appointment right away or can I want until my next oil change?

David
2001 S8 Black on Black
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The differentials in these cars are pretty much bullet proof. If they leak, it is at a flange seal. The bottom of the seals are well above the bottom of the diff reservoir, so don't tend to go dry and still pick up gear oil to stay lubes.

I would not worry unless you were hearing the droning (that changes with the speed of the car...and engine load) of a dry differential.

On these cars, the most common gear oil leak (too common, unfortunately) is the center differential at the rear of the trans...output flange seal. It tends to leak on the left catalytic converter and produce a constant burning skunk smell.

Here >>

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...placement.html
Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

That's great news about placement of flange seal in relation to the bottom of the differential reservoir.

It is still on my list for the mechanic to fix at the next oil change.

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful and eased my concerns.

David
2001 S8 Black or Black
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a trick to getting the fill plug out, so that I can replace the gear oil! Mine will not move at all. Maybe the gear oil can be replace through the sensor that is besides the plug. Any thoughts?
thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fsrowsell
Is there a trick to getting the fill plug out, so that I can replace the gear oil! Mine will not move at all. Maybe the gear oil can be replace through the sensor that is besides the plug. Any thoughts?
thanks
It simply has to come out...no other way. They are always tight, no matter how carefully you put it in.

There is no such thing as a stuck plug..it WILL come out.

The allen key (or socket) has to fit snugly...then use what ever cheater bar (tube) that will fit, to gain leverage needed...or push up from below with what ever will reach your allen key...even a small jack might help.

It's tough to get to and always tight, so you gotta use your imagination and whatever tool will work, even if you have to fabricate it yourself.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i waisted to much time on trying to get the plug out! So I ended up filling it up through the sensor hole one oz at a time. It worked and now the car is back on the road!