A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level sensor - "sensor" nagging problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
The oil level (thermal sensor) sensor is not an on/off switch like other "sensors"....it reads the oil temp at the upper end of the probe, then sends a measured (resistance/partial ground) reading which is "translated" by the instrument cluster processor.

The sensor is shown as an electronic module on wiring diagrams...not a switch...so it can't be fooled or tested by shorting the wires together.

If oil is anywhere near full and the sensor triggers a code or warning, that's the test...it's bad.
Do you mean the signal wire give only analog voltage message to the control unit?
My A6QV8 had malfunction with oil temp gauge because of aftermarket oil level sensor, using VCDS it gave always 30*C temp and HIGH oil level.
OEM level sensor solved problem.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm told by my Audi SA there is an issue with the hood latch that affects the sensor. My latch is pretty tough to open, so I will follow-up with it.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check my post earlier today responding to more recent thread, same issue.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bedinator
Hi,

I just started having this problem with my A6 and I've run across this resolution: Replace the sensor unit with one bought from Audi. Someone stated that they had two after-market sensors and the Oil Sensor light kept coming on. Once replacing with a genuine sensor, the light behaved.
I had oil level/temp sensor issues. Checked wiring diagram, ran extra ground, etc.
Then came across a post where someone warned to ONLY buy the OEM brand sensor (I had bought a well known German brand name, but NOT the (Meyle IIRC) OEM brand). Finally gave up, bought a new (OEM brand) sensor: worked correctly right away.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hella is the OEM brand. Anything else and they sometimes work and sometimes do not.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Hella is the OEM brand. Anything else and they sometimes work and sometimes do not.
Confirmed. Meyle (good solid brand) did NOT work. ONLY HELLA (OEM brand).
Old 11-05-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very sorry to bump an old thread.
I've got the same problem with my Golf GTI since last winter after a woman hit me.
I've changed oil and sensor (with an used one) but the nagging OIL SENSOR WORKSHOP just stays on the display and annoys the crap out of me.
I've checked the hood latch, and found out the cable to the connector is missing, so I jumped the connector to simulate open hood, but that doesnt help.
Diagnostics show -60 degrees (celsius) on the oil temperature, so I figure that the sensor is faulty or somewhere around the wiring im having a short.

Any ideas how to inspect the wiring from that sensor?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is the D2 A8 section of an Audi forum. You should post this on a VW Golf forum.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Confirmed. Meyle (good solid brand) did NOT work. ONLY HELLA (OEM brand).
For the record Meyle is not good or solid, it is questionable at best.. NEVER on any of my vehicles.

-Richard
Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For anyone else struggling with their sensor. I bought a cheap one off ebay and it didn't work., despite having my car listed as compatible. Further correspondence revealed that it wasn't compatible so I sent it back for a refund.
Then bought a HAAS one from Euro Car Parts. I phoned them as they didn't have any listed as compatible with my car on their site. I gave him the part number from the OEM one and he gave me the stock number and I ordered it online with a discount code for £24.
Fitted and works just fine.
My car is a 2002 so I'm not about to spend £100 on a sensor if I don't have to.

Quick Reply: Oil level sensor - "sensor" nagging problem!