A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV / Valley Pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV / Valley Pan

Hey there,

Seem to be some knowledgeable folk on these ends. Am regularly on other forums in A4 sections. Although on those forums, the A8 Section is pretty dead. Which brings me here.

Anyways. I have a question.

I have a strange PCV issue with my 4.2 AUX D2
Its making a weird humming - fan like noise while at idle. - When you pull the oil cap the idle changes to normal the sound goes away. When you place the cap over the hole it gets sucked back on, instead of dancing around on top like it should.

I pulled the hose connecting the heads. along with the PCV valve and the hose going from the block to the driver head. All look clear. - new PCV Valve was cheap so i replaced it for piece of mind. - No difference.

Upon further inspection. The valley between the V of the engine under the intake manifold seems to be quite saturated with oil.
I read a little more into it and it seems there is a Valley Pan there with oil check valves inside.

Could this be the cause of my PCV issues? - the valley pan gasket is more expensive than any other gasket for the car - So i wanted to see if anyone had come across issues like this before pulling the trigger.

2001 Audi Audi A8/S8 quattro Europe market: Engine Cylinder block oil sump 3.7/4.2ltr. 8-cylinder: AQG,AQF,ARU, AQH,AVP,AUW, AKC,BCS,AYS

- This seems like the wrong design compared to what the AUX actually looks like -but is good to grasp the concept of what I'm talking about.