A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help. 2001 audi no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help. 2001 audi no start

Hey guys I'm new to this and looking for some help. I bought a 2001 audi a8l 4.2 v8 last week. We'll when I got it it seemed like it needed a tune up. Slight misfire and rough at slow take offs. Well I've been driving it just fine. And i just changed the sparkplugs.But here's what it's been doing when I start it up it idles really rough. But if I give it gas it will smooth out and idle fine. Now when I leave from a stop it hesitates then takes off. Can still fill a miss. Also I had this bad gas smell and saw there was gas puddle ontop of fuel pump so I wiped it up lastnight. Well this morning I drove it to walmart. I got gas at the valero. I parked at walmart and came back about thirty minutes later. And it wouldn't start. Then I got it to start and it was idling fine. I tried driving it and it bogged out and dies. Now it won't start at all. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jesseusmc
Hey guys I'm new to this and looking for some help. I bought a 2001 audi a8l 4.2 v8 last week. We'll when I got it it seemed like it needed a tune up. Slight misfire and rough at slow take offs. Well I've been driving it just fine. And i just changed the sparkplugs.But here's what it's been doing when I start it up it idles really rough. But if I give it gas it will smooth out and idle fine. Now when I leave from a stop it hesitates then takes off. Can still fill a miss. Also I had this bad gas smell and saw there was gas puddle ontop of fuel pump so I wiped it up lastnight. Well this morning I drove it to walmart. I got gas at the valero. I parked at walmart and came back about thirty minutes later. And it wouldn't start. Then I got it to start and it was idling fine. I tried driving it and it bogged out and dies. Now it won't start at all. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Sounds like someone changed the fuel pump or attempted some repair there AND botched the job...NEVER should there be any gasoline where you found it. If there is a fuel line leaking there, the system is loosing all it's residual pressure, which is necessary for a restart...especially hot engine.

The fuel system must remain under pressure after shutting it off...any small leak (unacceptable) will lead to a no-start or hard-start condition.

You could run the fuel pump by bridging the relay, while checking precisely for the leak above (or around?) the fuel pump....or have a helper run the starter while you find it...the fuel pump will only run for about 2 seconds with just ignition position (and only on the first attempt) unless the starter is turning the motor.

Address and repair the leak before checking anything else.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the good

Information. Unfortunately my fuel pump capped out on me. So I removed it and it's easy to tell someone has been in there before. Missing a screw and washer. The fuel assembly wasn't set right. It was all messed up. So I have a new fuel pump on its way and will get everything set right and no leaks and see how it goes. Thank you!