A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Hose Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Power Steering Hose Leak

Hey D2 Owners,

I noticed this weekend that my Power Steering Return Hose is leaking PS fluid. The leak is happening at the metal union, circled in red on photo. I believe it's leaking from the metal collar right below the elbow in the hose.

My question is there a quick fix to stop the leaking besides replacing the hose. I plan on changing the hose at my next oil change but that's another 4 to 5 months away.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
Hey D2 Owners,

I noticed this weekend that my Power Steering Return Hose is leaking PS fluid. The leak is happening at the metal union, circled in red on photo. I believe it's leaking from the metal collar right below the elbow in the hose.

My question is there a quick fix to stop the leaking besides replacing the hose. I plan on changing the hose at my next oil change but that's another 4 to 5 months away.
Yes, the obvious one, BUT...there's always the possibility of a catch with any kind of stop leak.

I've used power steering stop leak in a couple of past VW's, with no long term problems that I ever found. Others will tell you (and it could be true), that since most stop leak products (oil, not coolant) are made to swell and soften rubber seals. This effect is said (by some) to possibly shorten the life of the steering gear...I don't really buy this myself in the case of a steering gear, but have seen evidence of this in engine oil stop leaks with valve stem seals, but a very different animal and environment than a steering gear. Valve stem seals are at the mercy of constant high speed "grinding" with heat/friction worn, gritty (by comparison) engine oil.

I put stop leak (don't recall brand) in my dog's old VW 50K miles ago...it sealed (and continues to) similar power steering hose fittings, still with no ill effects to anything. Most power steering stop leaks also contain a "sealant" (not particulate, like coolant stop leak) of some kind that gathers at the leaks...mine has a little noticeable hard sticky substance on the outside of the hose fittings at the sites of the old leaks.

I would have no problem trying a quality brand of stop leak for now, with the plan of a fluid flush when the hose gets replaced.

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 12-09-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend Lucas. I put some in my Bronco in 2009 before leaving for a 1000 mile haul to east Texas. Nearly 6 years and 50k later and all is still good.

My S8 has a small leak as well, but mine seems to be coming from the hose clamp and very slowly dripping on ABS module...fluid level hasn't changed by any measurable amount, but I'll rectify when I feel like getting messy again.

Oh the joys of keeping old cars running.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Instead of trying to pour in a fix, get some transmission cooler hose 3/8 gates fits these perfect as I recall. Use a cut off wheel to trim off the shielding on the union, replace the hose, make sure you get several hose clamps.

Also note, there is an inline restrictor that you will want to put back into the new hose section.

Cold weather caused this same leak to pop up on my wife's d2 a couple weeks ago.
<30 minutes and <$20 for the auto parts store and it's leak free!

Don't forget to double clamp these when you remove the crimp.

-Richard
Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks everybody of the replies.

I found a somewhat reasonably priced new hose and will replace it sooner than later. I plan on keeping the car for another 6-7 years so it just makes sense.

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Oh the joys of keeping old cars running.
+1
Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sprung a leak there a couple months ago. You are right in changing the hose. If you lose power steering, you also lose hydraulic brake assist. If you have access to a lift it's an hour to change that hose. The only tricky part is getting the banjo fitting back on the rack with both crush washers. I ended up stuffing some paper towel inside the socket to hold the banjo bolt. That way I could use the socket/extension to push the banjo bolt in while I tightened it. There is no room to hold it with your hands as it's inside the frame rail. You can get to everything through the driver's side wheel well.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 123quattro
If you lose power steering, you also lose hydraulic brake assist.
Nope ... There's no hydraulic brake assist in a D2 (or most cars), except for the electric ABS pump (antilock, ESP and EDL) which has no tie to the steering boost in any way.

Brakes are strictly boosted by vacuum.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Nope ... There's no hydraulic brake assist in a D2 (or most cars), except for the electric ABS pump (antilock, ESP and EDL) which has no tie to the steering boost in any way.

Brakes are strictly boosted by vacuum.
That's weird, because when my reservoir emptied my car definitely lost brake boost.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 123quattro
That's weird, because when my reservoir emptied my car definitely lost brake boost.

Just an odd coincidence ... or your car is haunted ... or you just imagined it. I recently lost my serp belt tensioner and serp belt while driving ... so, of course, I lost steering boost totally.
On the drive home, the brakes remained normal with full (VACUUM only) boost, as expected and dictated by their design to operate independently of any other system.

The steering is a sealed system that has nothing whatever to do with the sealed braking system ... 2 different fluids with 2 completely independent sources of boost.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same leak. I cut the hose, bought a 3/8 inch hose coupler (brass), a 90 degree hose (high pressure), and two wide hose clamps.

this is a pressurized hose, so dont go cheap on the clamps or hose. I used narrow banded clamps and it shot fluid all over.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Hose Leak