A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JL Audio 13W7AE-D1.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Audio 13W7AE-D1.5

Hello, has anyone customized their D2 A8L trunk for subwoofers and have pictures to show? I've purchased some JL Audio 13W7AE-D1.5 and trying to get ideas on how to customize my trunk to meet the specs of subs without losing alot of trunk space.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TremainSr
Hello, has anyone customized their D2 A8L trunk for subwoofers and have pictures to show? I've purchased some JL Audio 13W7AE-D1.5 and trying to get ideas on how to customize my trunk to meet the specs of subs without losing alot of trunk space.
I didn't customize per se, but I did use a box (powered MTX 10") with a slanted back that more or less matched the slope of the rear seat. It tucks way up front and I hardly lose any trunk space. It fits in forward of my cargo net. I'll snap a shot or two, but it looks like this. I only wish they still made it as I'd add a 2nd on the other side of the ski sack.
Attached Images  

Last edited by S8ilver; 06-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
I didn't customize per se, but I did use a box (powered MTX 10") with a slanted back that more or less matched the slope of the rear seat. It tucks way up front and I hardly lose any trunk space. It fits in forward of my cargo net. I'll snap a shot or two, but it looks like this. I only wish they still made it as I'd add a 2nd on the other side of the ski sack.
Ok thanks for you reply! I already brought my subwoofers and amps. I surfed the internet night and day on A8's but it seems no one out there has 13.5 in woofers in them. I just want to give the installers a couple of ideas of how I want it.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think a 13W7 will work great in the A8L. There a lot of seat and metal between the trunk and the cabin. My 10" adds a bit of punch that the stock setup was lacking, but I do have the gain turned up pretty high. It cost me a whole $70 so I'm not complaining.

Does yours have the ski sack? If so, don't do this! (Well, not unless you have the armrest mechanically actuated to expose the speaker)
Attached Images  

Last edited by S8ilver; 06-03-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ran a gain adjustment cable from trunk up to front console, and snapped a quick (bad) shot of my sub...you can see how it sits forward of recessed trunk portion. I don't really lose any useable trunk space.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up installing the sub adjustment **** in the dummy switch left of the steering wheel (had to Dremel out the back ribs a bit, took 2 minutes to get everything nice and flat). I tried to find a place near the center console, but my laser jammer display was in the only other quick-to-reach spot, and I didn't want to drill through any piece that wasn't easily replaceable. The **** included in the MTX subwoofer kit is of very high quality (has a rubberized coating and nice solid turning feel which I like)...now I don't have to go through sound controls on head unit to adjust bass, and I get way more adjustment then the stock 6 levels of +bass.

Sure it's a tiny mod, but something I'll use every time I'm in the car.
Attached Images   
Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice looking installation work!

I'm interested in the ZR3 install - are there installation details in the forum somewhere?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JoePGT5S
Nice looking installation work!

I'm interested in the ZR3 install - are there installation details in the forum somewhere?

Thanks.
I'll put something together and post tomorrow. I'll add pics at some point. It is a time consuming installation, but the end results were fantastic. The display just peeks out from the driver position.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S8ilver
I'll put something together and post tomorrow. I'll add pics at some point. It is a time consuming installation, but the end results were fantastic. The display just peeks out from the driver position.
Thanks!! Look forward to seeing how you did it. I think the location of the display is perfect.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

You'd like my TPMS display even better...it hides in the ashtray just below the ZR3.

Quick Reply: JL Audio 13W7AE-D1.5