A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace front axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace front axle

So for the last year or more, who knows might be two I've notice the proverbial clicking sound from my front left CV joint. Not super loud and soft enough to ignore. Seems to have gotten a little worse but it's makes a noise just when turning and I don't believe the CV boot is ripped.

Anyway I've been having an issue with vibration on the steering wheel (60+ mph) and I can see the front seat vibrating too. I just saw a video that suggested that this may be related to a worn CV joint. The vibration is not severe at all and most folks would probably not noice it. Old wheels but brand new snow tires balanced and front end alignment due to new tie rod. Of course I should probably swap out front wheels with back or put on my summer tires to make sure it's not the 16 inch rims. Running 65 profile for better snow handling. I also am aware of a clunk from and it's appear to be the left hand side front upper control arm (seems like a pain to change .....) but the noise is there. I swear this car is like the bloody Golden Gate bridge, once they get done painting it they start over again and right after I replace a worn control arm a few months later I hear a new noise .... of course I should replace them all but on a $2k car ......

Just wondering if someone can recommend a good cheapish brand (if there is such a thing). I see folks recommending Raxeles. Anything on RockAuto that can be recommended? I've heard that crappy cheap CV axles can cause vibration so don't want to change out one source for another. 191K and still going ......

( of course if I could find a 2002, silver with all the suspension bits updated, no oil leak, fuel leak, a good tranny and no steering wobble I'd sell my ride in a second!)

Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

This guy is parting out his 2003 A8. I'd checked with him. His prices seem to be very fair.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par...3-a8l-2915019/

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 AM
Breaking cars for fun.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
This guy is parting out his 2003 A8. I'd checked with him. His prices seem to be very fair.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par...3-a8l-2915019/

Good luck.
Hey, I'm the one parting the 03. The outer boots on mine are bad, but the shaft and bearing still looks good. They were not making noise. Send me a low offer if you want them as is, or I can clean, re-grease them, and put fresh boots on for $$$.

Last edited by Ok22; 02-26-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

When you have the axle off it's a good time to do the axle shaft seal.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ok22
Hey, I'm the one parting the 03. The outer boots on mine are bad, but the shaft and bearing still looks good. They were not making noise. Send me a low offer if you want them as is, or I can clean, re-grease them, and put fresh boots on for $$$.
Do the 03 D2 axles work on a 99? My 99 is on it's last legs so I'm not wanting to spend a ton on this project, just hoping that it will sort out a vibration issue I feel in my the steering at 60mph +. So new on from raxles is about $230 each, not sure how much the generic ones are $80? each. What about shipping, I'm in Colorado? I can probably do the re-greasing.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Breaking cars for fun.

Originally Posted by ThaboTheWuff
Do the 03 D2 axles work on a 99? My 99 is on it's last legs so I'm not wanting to spend a ton on this project, just hoping that it will sort out a vibration issue I feel in my the steering at 60mph +. So new on from raxles is about $230 each, not sure how much the generic ones are $80? each. What about shipping, I'm in Colorado? I can probably do the re-greasing.
I removed the axles earlier today and just checked the part numbers, 407272AF and 4D0407271S. They should work in a 99. When I googled the part numbers it actually brought me back to the forum: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24591304
The outer boots are completely torn, but the bearing feels smooth.
I just calculated shipping the struts and springs to Colorado for someone and it was about $45, I expect the axles will be about the same. I'll sell them to you as is, dirty with torn boots for $5 each plus shipping, so $55 total if the shipping works out. If you want them PM me or reply to my for sale post. I can send pics.

This guy makes some great repair videos, if I don't sell them as-is, I'm eventually going to follow this guide and sell them for a lot more:

Last edited by Ok22; 02-27-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added link to the video
Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had these laying around from when I used to own a C5 A6 4.2. Just used them to rebuild my S8 axles.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-pa.../4d0498099~my/
Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Breaking cars for fun.

Here's what I plan to send him. The bearings should still be good. Just get some new boots and follow the procedure like in the video I linked. I may even have boots left from another car. I'll check and see if they look like the right size and throw them in the box if they look good. <update *I checked and the extra boots I had fit a smaller axle.* >

Last edited by Ok22; 03-02-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some more possibly helpful info >>

quattroworld.com Forums: Disassembling, cleaning & repacking Outer CV Joints >>>

Last edited by silverd2; 03-02-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

One tip: It's a lot easier to just run the axle bolt all the way in to pop the CV joint apart than it is to use a railroad sipke and sledge.

Another tip: As supplied the snap ring IMO is not round enough to get the joint back together again, I saw a youtube where the installer taps the clip with a hammer and makes it rounder (off the axle) and this makes it way way easier to get the joint to pop over the snap ring. Do not make the clip useless, just go from impossible to possible. The clip needs to keep the axle located in the inner part of the CV joint when the axle pumps in and out due to suspension travel and steering so you cannot leave it out. They are very D-shaped when supplied and usually won't go into the countersink/bevel on the joint but instead get cut or mashed flat.

Last tip: stay off the new white leather couch until you have been completely decontaminated of all black moly grease. If you wipe your hands on the dog, use the neighbor's dog.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Replace front axle