A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S6 vs. S8? Need help deciding.

Old 10-17-2002, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 vs. S8? Need help deciding.

I am new to the forum but have been following it for a while. I have a black 2000 A6 4.2 and my wife has a red 2002 A6 Avant. Here's my question: The lease on my 2000 4.2 is coming due, which means it's time to get a new Audi. I love my 4.2 but want to upgrade to an S model with the extra hp and torque.

My dealer has both a black on black 2002 S6 Avant as well as a brand new 2003 black on caramel/black S8. I am having trouble deciding which one to get, and am wandering if anyone on the board has any experience with either car. The way I see it, these are the pros and cons of each:

S6: The S6 is a 2002, which means I can get a cap cost reduction of 6k or so (from 62k to 56k). That brings the lease to within $40/month or so of a 4.2 lease, which is pretty good for the extra hp. Its black on black, which is very nice. It has the same engine (more or less) as the S8 but the cap cost is 17k less (56k vs. 73k, and on the road it appears to feel a little more nimble and sporty than the S8 (which is 5" longer and 3" wider). However, it looks a lot like my wife's Avant (except for the 17" wheels, flared wheel wells, S badging, etc), and it doesn't have the mutli-function steering wheel (which I have gotten used to). Do I really want two Avants in the garage? If only they made an S6 sedan...

S8: Wow. have you seen this car? The 18" wheels are amazing, and once you sit inside, it's hard to imagine a more luxurious car (the caramel is gorgeous). However, it's 73k (MSRP is 77k with premium package), for which you get an extra 20 hp over the S6, and the exterior is not the most dramatic I've ever seen. The S touches are very subtle, so from a distance it looks like a regular exectutive sedan. I'm 40 and I almost feel too young to drive a big flagship car (time to get therapy!). Also, the new 2004 model is much more handsome, creating the risk that I will be bummed out driving an old 8 when the new one comes out. However, the S version of the new model won't be out for 2 to 3 years, so the S8 will be unique regardless.

I'm torn and I need to decide soon. I am leaning towards the S8, but the financially prudent part of me says to get the S6. Any insights from owners of the 6 and 8 are appreciated.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:42 AM

Default If finances permit...

Go for the S8. I dont get to drive ours very often (my wife commutes in it) so every time I slip behind the wheel I get to once again realize what an amazing car it really is.

I tend to prefer a light well balanced car. My daily driver is the A4 1.8 with significant suspension/wheel/tire/brake upgrades. In the configuration I have it feels extremely well balanced and quick - much more so than the curb weight would suggest is possible.

My first drive in our S8 gave me the same feeling. But the car really shines on the open road. Speed-to-speed changes are breathtaking and the solidity of the car at speed inspires great confidence. Add to that the level of interior appointments, the terrific seats and sheer space and the feeling is you are king of the road.

Personally I love the body style of the present 8 and the B5 4. I think the S8 combines the timeless beauty of simplicity and flowing lines with a slightly sinister road stance that is lost in the new generation with its slab sides and hard angles reminiscent of a box with wheels.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Go with the S8!

Having driven in both the 6 and 8 platform, if you do any kind of driving, you'll love the 8! Plus you already have another 6 avant.

I'm going to be 37, and I don't think I would want a smaller car. But I do travel long distances for sales calls.

Maybe I'll have to get another TR6 again someday!

Go with the S8!
Old 10-17-2002, 08:32 AM

Default Re: S6 vs. S8? Need help deciding.

I'm a lot younger than yourself as well as most people on this board, but that doesn't mean anything to me. Just cuz the avg age of car model X from company Y is 50, doesn't mean it looks wrong for a youngster to drive it! Especially with nice mods. Heheh.

Personally, I have no clue why people by station wagons (no offense to anyone), but they just look so silly to me. What the hell is the point of an S-model or AMG-model or M-model stationwagon? That's just nonsense as far as I'm concerned. It's just the looks are totally inferior to a sedan, period.

Having said that, I definitely say go for the S8, if you can comfortably afford it. What an amazing car, and I think the looks are timeless too, and very nice. Hell, in an A8 I've gotten lots of comments on how sharp it is. Even got thumbs up from pedestrians a few times, which was weird, given all the nice cars around here...

Ok back to the real stuff. It seems you can get the S6 for a lot less money, well, I wanna say go for that, but the S8 is a noticably more impressive machine. You will NOT feel any need for more power or handling prowess with the S6 though.

Test drive. Take for 1/2 hour if you can. Take it with your wife, get her opinion. Do u drive many miles per year? S8 mileage is quite poor, if you care.

But I am totally for a sedan over anything else. If you need the space, just get an X5 or something.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: S6 vs. S8? Need help deciding.

Thanks for your post, and i agree with the sedan over sagon arugment. I don't need the space, and I prefer the S8 over the S6 in terms of looks. I just feel a little guilty stepping up, although financially it's no problem. I drove both cars, but I think I need to drive them again. The S6 seemed very impressive, but maybe that's because it was the first time in an S over an A. I would definitely need to get used to the size of an S8, though.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:45 AM

If you have the opportunity to drive both at 7-9 tenths, the S8 may come out on top.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:35 PM

At speed, the S8 drives smaller. Test drive it again.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: At speed, the S8 drives smaller. Test drive it again. ;)

I'm test driving both cars again on Monday. Can't wait.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:32 PM

Really can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:40 PM

IMO, you have great taste and judgement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S6 vs. S8? Need help deciding.